Kem Kem Claw and Phalanx

FF7_Yuffie

Seller doesn't know what it's from beyond claw and phalanx from Kem Kem in Morocco. Price is pretty good, so it tempts me if anyone has any idea what it's from. I have seen these crop up as raptor claws or deltadromeus claws elsewhere--which to me seems more speculative putting a name to it than it actually being from one of those species.

But if anyone knows anything, that would be great. 

6.jpg

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Claw is from an indeterminate theropod while the phalanx is most likely turtle.  Again not much is published on claws and without the distal end its impossible to say much.  Its a foot claw however and a good chance its not raptor.

• I found this Informative 2

That claw kinda reminds me of this unidentified claw I have.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

7 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

That claw kinda reminds me of this unidentified claw I have.

Yeah, I definitely see resemblance there. These types of little claws seem to crop up for sale a lot--I've seen them on a fair few websites. Really cool little 3D imaging programme by the way.   Although, the one I am looking at seems hollow? Is that just because it's missing the distal end whereas yours is complete?

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Claw is from an indeterminate theropod while the phalanx is most likely turtle.  Again not much is published on claws and without the distal end its impossible to say much.  Its a foot claw however and a good chance its not raptor.

Nice, cheers. Good to have a bit more of an ID on it. 

It's quite reasonable priced, so I'll pop it on my buy list as a backup purchase if I lose another auction I'm bidding for. I don't have many claws, so will be nice to have. Shame the bone isn't same species. 

Thanks for the help as always.

57 minutes ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

Yeah, I definitely see resemblance there. These types of little claws seem to crop up for sale a lot--I've seen them on a fair few websites. Really cool little 3D imaging programme by the way.   Although, the one I am looking at seems hollow? Is that just because it's missing the distal end whereas yours is complete?

Funny story, I actually found this claw hiding in a composite mosasaur jaw (It was being sold as a croc jaw too) where it was posing as a tooth. The jaw actually turned out really nice with 3 original teeth after prepping it. But some idiot had added extra teeth as well as this claw that I had to remove.

And I think you mean the proximal end. The distal end is the tip of the claw. Proximal is towards the main body, and distal is away from the body.

And yes our claws differ in that yours is hollow. Mine was actually broken in two at one point and it's definitely not hollow.

• I found this Informative 3

16 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Funny story, I actually found this claw hiding in a composite mosasaur jaw (It was being sold as a croc jaw too) where it was posing as a tooth. The jaw actually turned out really nice with 3 original teeth after prepping it. But some idiot had added extra teeth as well as this claw that I had to remove.

And I think you mean the proximal end. The distal end is the tip of the claw. Proximal is towards the main body, and distal is away from the body.

And yes our claws differ in that yours is hollow. Mine was actually broken in two at one point and it's definitely not hollow.

Sounds like a mess of a sale, but glad you managed to get it sorted into a good fossil in the end. Whoops, got the ends all wrong there, cheers.

With it being hollow, is it possible it could be a bird claw? Or are some theropod/dinosaur species foot claws hollow.

I think it's more likely that your claw is simply damaged and was likely originally fairly solid. I have never heard of claw cores being hollow. A keratin sheath that fits over the claw core will be hollow of course. But those very rarely fossilise. Some rare examples of those are the claws of Archaeopteryx or the hoofs of Edmontosaurus. I think what you have is simply a damage claw core. As in the actual bone and not the claw made of keratin.

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I think it's more likely that your claw is simply damaged and was likely originally fairly solid. I have never heard of claw cores being hollow. A keratin sheath that fits over the claw core will be hollow of course. But those very rarely fossilise. Some rare examples of those are the claws of Archaeopteryx or the hoofs of Edmontosaurus. I think what you have is simply a damage claw core. As in the actual bone and not the claw made of keratin.

Cheers. Thanks for taking a look