Are These "crocodilia Molars"

Harry Pristis

Okay, Harry, here are some photos of a tooth labelled as "Late Cretaceous, Hell Creek Formation, Ziebach County, South Dakota." The crown height is 7mm.

That's great, Jess. . . . Good images.

You don't say what this Ziebach County tooth is from, but I assume you are saying that this is a crocodilian "button" tooth.

A couple of things jump out from these images: The croc teeth have a more regular, vertically-striated, enamel surface than the more randomized surface of the Globidens teeth.

And, the croc teeth may have carinae, but the Globidens teeth do not have them. (I am unwilling to speculate that all or most croc "button" teeth have carinae because we've seen so few examples.)

Is that a fair assessment?

post-42-0-39698600-1306534605_thumb.jpgpost-42-0-55344800-1306534581_thumb.jpg

What then, are these teeth in the 'geofossil' album?

post-42-0-93454800-1306534669_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry,

Yes, I believe the Ziebach County tooth was traded to me as a crocodilian tooth (and that's what I thought it was) back in the early 90's. At the time I was interested in croc material of different ages. I have some Paleocene and Eocene teeth/scutes as well.

As noted earlier in the thread, there seems to have been less professional interest in crocodilian tooth morphology than in other parts of the skeleton.

I don't have many publications on crocs but it does seem that teeth from the Cretaceous to Recent tend to have carinae.

That's great, Jess. . . . Good images.

You don't say what this Ziebach County tooth is from, but I assume you are saying that this is a crocodilian "button" tooth.

A couple of things jump out from these images: The croc teeth have a more regular, vertically-striated, enamel surface than the more randomized surface of the Globidens teeth.

And, the croc teeth may have carinae, but the Globidens teeth do not have them. (I am unwilling to speculate that all or most croc "button" teeth have carinae because we've seen so few examples.)

Is that a fair assessment?

post-42-0-39698600-1306534605_thumb.jpgpost-42-0-55344800-1306534581_thumb.jpg

What then, are these teeth in the 'geofossil' album?

post-42-0-93454800-1306534669_thumb.jpg

Very interesting and informative thread. Thanks Guys. :)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

• 2 years later...

I will try to find time (might be a few weeks) to post images of various croc/gator teeth. I have collected them from the Cretaceous (NC & MD), Paleocene (MD), Miocene (NC & MD), Pliocene (FL), Pleistocene (FL) and recent (gator).