Max-fossils

Hey guys,

Here's a partial canine that I got from Cris & Kyle around 2 and a half years ago. It's from the Santa Fe River in Florida, so Pleistocene in age. I've compared it to several canines online, and my best guess right now is spectacled bear (Tremarctos floridanus), but I feel like it could also be a lower canine from a dire wolf (Canis dirus). It doesn't seem cat-like to me. 

What do you think? I can provide more angles if necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Max

IMG_0041.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I agree. Some type of bear.

• I found this Informative 1

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

4 hours ago, mikeymig said:

I agree. Some type of bear.

Thanks, that's my gut feeling too, so it's good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

48 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Nice find!!!:envy:

I didn't find this one myself... I got it as a gift from Cris & Kyle when I went on a hunt with them. But I do agree that it is a cool find they made!

Max Derème

Still just to have something in your collection like that!!! How do you get in contact with them?

5 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Still just to have something in your collection like that!!! How do you get in contact with them?

Yeah it's definitely a cool piece! I hunted with them way back in December 2017, under their 'business' Fossil Voyages. I don't know if they still do those guided tours however, as I haven't seen them post much on that Instagram account in a while, but other ways to get in touch with them directly is via YouTube (PaleoCris & WILDKYLE) or on Instagram (paleocris & thewildkyle). Otherwise you can try messaging them here on TFF: @Cris (he made this forum btw!) and @addicted2fossils but both haven't been online on the forum much lately.

While I would personally recommend going on a tour with them if possible as I had a fantastic time, I really don't know if they still do those. If they don't, try finding some other guided fossil tour thing, there's a bunch in Florida, and if you're more interested in the mammal stuff than the shark teeth then I'm sure some will know where to bring you!

Best of luck!

Max Derème

Thank you!!! I won’t be in Florida for a while, But it’s nice to know!!!:)

1 minute ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Thank you!!! I won’t be in Florida for a while, But it’s nice to know!!!:)

No worries. It's probably gonna be a while before I return to Florida too, despite how badly I wanna go back there :P 

Max Derème