Dinosaur tooth type of raptor?

Tankhero96

Hi I have a raptor tooth and I can’t remember what kind! It’s either a Deltadromeus, Dromaeosaur, or a Coelophysis. Thanks for your help! The tooth is 0.75 inches long

C9626D48-5BCC-44B6-92C1-88D3767BCE9B.png

Agreed, these teeth which you often see as 'raptor' or 'deltadromeus' from the kem kem beds most often belonged to Abelisaurids (most likely cf. Rugops), although there are sometimes teeth which likely belonged to an unknown Noasaurid and even rarer is a potential dromaeosaur "raptor". Deltadromeus is known from no skull material so there is no way to identify its teeth if it had any (some have suggested it was a member of a toothless subfamily of Noasaurids called elaphrosaurs). 

As for coelophysis, I really don't know where that came from as that genus lived about 100 million years before the critters of the kem kem during the late Triassic and Early Jurassic.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, andy_mnemonic said:

@Troodon can give you a better ID but it looks like a Kem Kem Abelisaurid tooth to me.

+1 for Abelisaurid from Kem Kem

Nope, it’s an Abelisaurid tooth

Agree its an indeterminate Abelisaurid tooth.   Current publications however identify this morphology as being very similar to Rugops from Egypt so it may be the same genus. So will have to wait until its officially described.  Oh BTW its not a Raptor a word misused by many sellers

That does indeed look like a typical Kem Kem Abelisaurid tooth.
As @Troodon says, raptor is a term often misused by sellers. And as @PaleoNoel said, you can't label teeth as Deltadromeus since no skull material has ever been found.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite