PrehistoricWonders

Hi, 

this tooth was given to me as a gift, but I’m not sure If it’s real or not? It is 1 3/4 inches long and one inch wide.

A110BB8B-B77A-4A18-AAD2-A64B54F21360.jpeg

31F516B9-C200-4051-BEC8-76B17728AAFB.jpeg

A9A5EE81-A147-488B-85CF-A3B62ECAF707.jpeg

AE788C70-26CC-4A1F-ADFF-8A98286A337C.jpeg

Looks real to me. There would be little incentive to fabricate a fossil like this. Unfortunately, without locality information the only name we can assign to this tooth is Otodus indet.

• I found this Informative 1

Looks nice and real to me. I don’t see a good reason to fake a broken fossil. ;)

If it’s real i think it’s an angustiden,

I don’t know why they would fake it but something doesn’t seem right about it.

It was a gift from my grandparents.

It was also listed as a meg when they bought it. If it is real do you guys know what it is?TIA

Without knowing the locality and therefore the age, it is impossible to determine what species this tooth belonged to. Morphology only indicates that this tooth is in the Otodus genus. It could be O. angustidens, O. chubutensis, or O. megalodon, as all of these species are known to have cusps (juvenile megs are known to have cusps through the mid Pliocene).

Also, just because we are not able to assign a species label to this tooth does not make it any less special :dinothumb:

Here is a Peace River Florida Megalodon (with Cusp).   Maybe your grandparents visited Florida and hunted the swamps for Megalodons!! What a fantastic thought.  I wish my grandparent did.

As many have said, unless you know the location, you can not effectively identify the owner.

DSCN0855.jpg.d6e3360248ad3b3612f90ae53b7f1434.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Here is a Peace River Florida Megalodon (with Cusp).   Maybe your grandparents visited Florida and hunted the swamps for Megalodons!! What a fantastic thought.  I wish my grandparent did.

As many have said, unless you know the location, you can not effectively identify the owner.

DSCN0855.jpg.d6e3360248ad3b3612f90ae53b7f1434.jpg

Thanks for the information. They went to a Jurassic park convention and bought it for us.:)