ID required

Girlwithahammer

Hi, I’m wondering if this is a fossil or just a pretty rock. I have no experience other then wandering beaches with a hammer and chisel. I found this on Mappleton beach, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom. 

It is a beach with clay cliffs. I’m hoping this is the correct information and one of you lovely people can tell me what it is, if anything. Thank you. FE5B94D2-21CE-4740-AD4C-59FD6406B69B.thumb.jpeg.9df8f6418e8d15d1a783a507bad309dd.jpeg

EB76E9A2-8B17-4983-B87B-A6393F3A640B.jpeg

F17E6C02-E99A-4BAC-9ED6-179817F47983.jpeg

C61EE186-2760-44DB-8300-25934506B641.jpeg

0806082A-D4B4-4D15-A8FE-7844E3FBE99C.jpeg

4667770A-703C-45F1-8E9A-9A0744A4CBBE.jpeg

Kinda looks like a really worn piece of jaw to me.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I think it’s some kind of shell.  Not sure exactly what though.  Looks Jurassic.

Could it be a worn down cone-in-cone structure?

Nevermind, I just saw the top/bottom views and it doesn't look like a cone-in-cone.

I'm wondering if eroded ammonite whorls could look like this? Or, as it was said, oyster.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

So many possibilities. Thank you guys. I have about ten others I’m not sure about but don’t want to spam post haha. 

2 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I'm wondering if eroded ammonite whorls could look like this? Or, as it was said, oyster.

Looks like a oyster.

11 hours ago, Girlwithahammer said:

So many possibilities. Thank you guys. I have about ten others I’m not sure about but don’t want to spam post haha. 

You are encouraged to inquire as many ID's as you wish. You have questions, we have answers. ( Most of the time);)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

53 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

You are encouraged to inquire as many ID's as you wish. You have questions, we have answers. ( Most of the time);)

We are sort of like the Shell Answer Man. (No sexism implied). Although we answer questions about fossil and sometimes modern shells and not cars.

5EA1362A-846B-43DD-9541-FFC67197EF17.png

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

Should I do a new post or pop them on hear ? I just enjoy finding them I really should learn what to look out for although my favourites are always ammonites >.<

I'm pretty sure it's a crushed and worn piece of a large ammonite, such as an arietid like Coroniceras from the Lower Lias. Large pieces are quite common on the Yorkshire coast and that one will have travelled down a bit by glacier.

Or something a bit spinier - this is a chunk of Eugassiceras I think, from N.Yorkshire.

IMG_3752.thumb.jpeg.fb8a38352ce9c436758b25cb6bf7336f.jpeg

IMG_3753.thumb.jpeg.8d3ee747e7afa6020c3bd2a5feb8d018.jpeg

Tarquin

2 hours ago, Girlwithahammer said:

Should I do a new post or pop them on hear ? I just enjoy finding them I really should learn what to look out for although my favourites are always ammonites >.<

Unless you’re reasonably confident of a few specimens being the same species then usually best doing new posts, otherwise certain items can get lost in all the replies 

1 hour ago, dhiggi said:

Unless you’re reasonably confident of a few specimens being the same species then usually best doing new posts, otherwise certain items can get lost in all the replies 

Not confident at all haha. I shall take some proper photos tomorrow and start a few threads :) thank you. 

I think TqB might be right in that this is part of a worn piece of ammonite.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

So, my thinking was good...:ammonite01:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library