GPayton

I've been searching the gravel bars in the Brazos almost every day this week while the water is still low enough to get down there, and I've collected a pretty good assortment of fossilized bones. Most of what I've found have been fragments that are totally unidentifiable, but a handful still have some significant features that could lead to an ID. There's too many pictures to post all at once, so I'll reply a couple times with more. Thanks for the help! 

This first find is definitely a tooth and is the only piece I have that isn't from the Brazos, instead I picked it up on a trip to one of the small beaches north of the Texas City dike. I'm thinking bison, but I'm open to suggestions. 

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

All the rest of these are from the gravel bars on the Brazos just south of the HW 59 bridge. I'm certain that this is part of a turtle shell, maybe from the bottom (?) but beyond that I've got no clue - any input on what part of the shell it came from or what species would be appreciated. 

IMG_0249.jpg

The tooth definitely looks very similar, but is the occlusal surface the same? It seems like it's slightly different but I can't really tell from the pictures in that thread since it's so worn down. 

Here's yet another fossil. I have a strong suspicion that this one is part of the proximal end of a bison metacarpal, but if someone more knowledgable in these things than myself could confirm (or completely disprove me, that's welcome too!) that would be great. 

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

From just a brief skim of pictures online and on the forum, I think this one might be a deer metatarsal, with an emphasis on the "might." I know I've seen bones like this before from modern deer, but the exact name escapes me. It seems to curve a little too much to be a metatarsal but that's all I can think of at the moment. Does anyone know what it actually is? 

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

Last one I swear! When I first found this rib bone, I thought for sure that it had to be from a modern cow, but after picking it up it's pretty clear that its definitely a fossil - it's rock solid and more than a little heavy. The only animals of that size that could produce such a large rib that I can think of off the top of my head would be bison or horses. Right now I'm leaning towards horse for an ID, but I could be wrong. Suggestions would be welcome.

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

2 hours ago, Wendigo1014 said:

I'm thinking bison, but I'm open to suggestions. 

It is either bison or cow.

• I found this Informative 1

The tooth is bos/bison. I agree with turtle shell. Good luck with the ribs, but I’d say the longer one is large mammal like bison or horse. You’re in a good area.....keep looking!

• I found this Informative 1