Is anyone going to the Denver mineral and fossil show?

thelivingdead531

Hey everyone! Is anyone going to attend the Denver Mineral and Fossil show this September? It runs from 11-19 September. Now that I live relatively close I want to try to go this year. I would like to meet any of you amazing people if possible there. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Depends on the status of COVID-19. Right now, the cases are spiking as the states are relaxing their policies on social distancing, so it's not looking good.

I would like to attend for a couple days, but I wont know until closer to time. 

As for covid, dont confuse "number of cases" with anything besides a single number out of a multitude of data points.  We have more cases because there is far more testing going on.  The true metric is hospitalizations, and less so the "covid deaths". I am dubious of the death count because some hospitals have been shown to be falsifying cause of death because they get more fed $$$$ by calling it covid.  

• I found this Informative 2

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

@hadrosauridae, I  meant cases per day and also the trends on the graph. If the trend is still climbing or plateauing, but not dropping, then I probably won't go. If it drop significantly and less active cases, then I might go.

26 minutes ago, Darbi said:

Depends on the status of COVID-19. Right now, the cases are spiking as the states are relaxing their policies on social distancing, so it's not looking good.

16 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

As for covid, dont confuse "number of cases" with anything besides a single number out of a multitude of data points.  We have more cases because there is far more testing going on.  The true metric is hospitalizations, and less so the "covid deaths". I am dubious of the death count because some hospitals have been shown to be falsifying cause of death because they get more fed $$$$ by calling it covid.  

As of right now, the show is still on.

I’m not trying to get into a debate or discussion on COVID numbers though :). I’m just trying to see if I can meet other TFF members while viewing and possibly purchasing amazing fossils. My fossil themed face mask could use a fitting outing. :P

35 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

As dubious as they may seem to some, as a science based forum, we can abide by the science. That being said, let’s not get tangled up with Covid tallies and stick to fossils. Other places on the internet are best for disputing figures. ;)

• I found this Informative 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Sorry everyone! It’s been brought to my attention that the Denver Mineral and Fossil show is indeed cancelled this year. Several sources have said it was still happening but the actual website says it’s cancelled. 

I hope I didn’t cause too much discourse on the matter. 

well, darn.  I was just about to say that if the situation allows, I would be happy to meet you there.... I go down for the show every few years.  

• I found this Informative 1

Just an fyi the Denver Show like Tucson Show is made up of multiple independent shows.  You are correct the Denver Gem & Mineral show was just canceled but as of the 18th the Coliseum show appears to be still on but will be moved to a different venue.   All of this must be very fluid and the closing on the one show might affect what eventually happens to the others.

https://www.coliseumshow.com/

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

well, darn.  I was just about to say that if the situation allows, I would be happy to meet you there.... I go down for the show every few years.  

Maybe next year! I hope to get out to the Tate museum soon. 

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Just an fyi the Denver Show like Tucson Show is made up of multiple independent show.  You are correct the Denver Gem & Mineral show was just canceled but as of the 18th the Coliseum show appears to be still on but will be moved to a different venue.   All of this must be very fluid and the closing on the one show might affect what eventually happens to the others.

https://www.coliseumshow.com/dealer-list/

Thank you Troodon! I’ve never been to a show like these, so I’m still trying to get a grasp at how they operate. If the main show if off, does that mean that a smaller show is still happening?

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Thank you Troodon! I’ve never been to a show like these, so I’m still trying to get a grasp at how they operate. If the main show if off, does that mean that a smaller show is still happening?

In Denver there are two main shows compared to 30ish for Tucson.  So the Coliseum show is still pretty big, check the dealers list.  They are all independent they can do whatever they want or are required to do by city government in this covid time.  Its big money for the show promoters Im sure they will do everything possible to have it.  Their New Jersey show has been rescheduled several times.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

That being said, let’s not get tangled up with Covid tallies and stick to fossils. Other places on the internet are best for disputing figures. ;)

Well said.

Going to any venue will be voluntary and subject to local guidelines.  Let's not debate those on TFF.  Thanks.

• I found this Informative 5

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ