Help ID'ing Mississippian crinoid from KY

TK421

Hello!  I found this crinoid in Hardin County, KY earlier this morning that I would love to be able to ID further beyond "crinoid" haha.  I found it as is (no prepwork or cleaning) in a scree pile of misc Mississippian rocks and so not sure if specifically from Salem limestone, Harrodsburg limestone, Borden formation, St Louis limestone, etc.  I've included pics of the front and back of the rock/crinoid.  If it helps with ID'ing, the darker portions of the rock seem to be that tar-type limestone (and not surface dirt or soil, etc).  In reading the published literature on KY crinoids there seems to be quite a few genera identified from this era and this part of KY and so I would also like to learn from you on how one might narrow down a crinoid's genus.  Would also be iinterested in hearing your opinions on if it would help having it prepped out a bit by someone.  Thanks in advance for any assistance you could provide!

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! Great find! If you found that this morning you just beat the rain here. ;) 

I have to say I’m a bit :envy: 

I think we would need to know the formation to pin down an accurate genus/species, but maybe one of the others mentioned will recognize it. Looks a bit like Salem Limestone material to me.

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Wow! Great find! If you found that this morning you just beat the rain here. ;) 

I have to say I’m a bit :envy: 

I think we would need to know the formation to pin down an accurate genus/species, but maybe one of the others mentioned will recognize it. Looks a bit like Salem Limestone material to me.

Thanks!  Yes, was out hunting before sunrise in order to beat this front.

• I found this Informative 3

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

A real beauty........ that one will prep up real nice, you done good, many people never find a calyx that nice.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks everyone for your posts, literature, and encouragement!  I think first step then for me is to try and determine from what formation this specimen had fallen down from and then go from there.

• I found this Informative 1

29 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Thanks everyone for your posts, literature, and encouragement!  I think first step then for me is to try and determine from what formation this specimen had fallen down from and then go from there.

While this would obviously be helpful, I think someone who really knows the crinoids from the area well (@crinus, @crinoid1) may well be able to suggest an ID.

Don