Bobby Rico

I have been labelling some of my collection. Mrs R asked me why I don’t use our labelling machine, that’s an easy one I didn’t know we had one.   :DOH:  It is works great for me with it clean and clear fonts and five font sizes,. The keyboard and super easy-to-use screen, it’s no wonder MrsR was hiding this bit of kit from me.  The Dymo LetraTag is highest rated label maker on Market. 

The keyboard makes it easy to type what you want the label to say and you can see, at a glance, exactly how the font you’ve chosen will look. You can then change the size of the font, make it emboldened, italicise it, add one of 195 symbols, and more.

The Labeller prints on paper, plastic, metallic and iron-on LetraTag LT labels and you can print up to two lines per label.

The catch is that the labels are only available in 12mm . I been labelling on plastic boxes and test tubes . It is a great machine and quite cheep.   I really like the look of the labels on the test tubes . 

0B6531C0-36D6-42DE-A889-12355E8BF4E1.jpeg

B23D9FC8-AABA-4151-A77C-31B611F88233.jpeg

3EA3DFA8-48BA-47BD-A190-9E995D162944.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

Great idea, Bobby! I’m sure it makes things a lot easier.

Excellent post, Bobby!

I will have to look into getting one for myself. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Now why didn’t I think of that?! :DOH: Great idea Bobby!

I had to use these at my previous job for various things. Quite handy. 

I think your test tube with a cork stopper is an excellent idea as well. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

@Fossildude19 @thelivingdead531 @FossilNerd thanks :thumbsu: think I really most like about it is how instant it is. It is completely hassle free. 

Wayne the test tubes are great the only plastic but very cheap and can be stored in small drawers. I also like the science feel to them. 

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Cool...how many lines can you have looks like 2. Can either be a different font.

Only 2 lines , 5 fonts , 5 size and italics, bold and regular  . Tomorrow I do a label showing the options. I don’t if they can be mixed up on one label    It is easy for me been dyslexic to use too. 

cheers Bobby 

57 minutes ago, jpc said:

I like this.   Thanks for the heads up.

Your welcome 

I have saved all fossils in an Excel file. I use the Excel file in Word to print name, age, location, etc. on self-adhesive labels (from Avery)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-and-print-labels-82086c07-2afa-4982-9d7d-9c9141d5035b

Mailmerge.JPG.24e3b2dc1a80e234819bafb1c08cb577.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

This machine is really a stand alone product. You don’t need a computer or printer but you can still create labels that are clear very durable and instant at a very low cost. It is not perfect but definitely has some advantages. 

Interesting gadget. It would be ideal if you could use a mixture of caps and small letters (preferably with a serifed option), and if there were peel-and-stick labels you could use in it.

36 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Interesting gadget. It would be ideal if you could use a mixture of caps and small letters (preferably with a serifed option), and if there were peel-and-stick labels you could use in it.

It is peel and stick labels and thank you I forgot to say that.  It does have caps and small letters together,  because of my dyslexia I choose to use just caps. I don’t have a printer and we don’t even have  space for one in our small house . On little plastic or card boxes, tubs , test tubes this works fine . 

cheers Bobby 

I like it.  I've been using the "P-Touch" by brother for the last few years.

You could also use the Dymo XTL 300, which can be connected to your computer and prints 24 mm labels.

AEBA2271-B047-4334-AA89-62D372966599.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

All great machines here but the one I have is old the update model is just £21 and £7 for the label tape. So on the cheep end.

Sounds good... I'll keep an eye out for one. I could use it for the labels on my little boxes.

I've been using the "P-Touch" by brother since, about 1994, so the labels sometimes do not stick good. Have a power adapter.  I also bought on clearance a Dymo label manager 160  and it would power on and shut off. Yesterday I tried new Energizer "Max" batteries and found that it does actually work. Now to find and read the manual!

i put my labels in tables in google docs and organize them into the different ages and print and cut them out, doubling as a label system and a catalogue of sorts

Screenshot 2020-06-25 at 08.46.27.png

• I found this Informative 2

On 6/22/2020 at 2:27 AM, Bobby Rico said:

It is peel and stick labels and thank you I forgot to say that.  It does have caps and small letters together,  because of my dyslexia I choose to use just caps. I don’t have a printer and we don’t even have  space for one in our small house . On little plastic or card boxes, tubs , test tubes this works fine . 

cheers Bobby 

My P-Touch is also old, but I can still get the replacement cartridges fairly reasonable.  However, my machine is a "one liner" and wastes a lot of the label material on each end of the information you print.   The peal and stick labels work very well on most fossils, not very well on porous or uneven surfaces.  I usually stick them on the bottom of the fossil for quick identification only, if I need the detailed information I refer to my records.  I use them to make drawer and file labels as well and sometimes stick them on vacuumed fossils.  I sometimes put several fossils into a container (without a lid) and remove the air using my Food Saver machine.  Not really sure how well it works but it protects the fossils from environmental damage and makes me feel better:-)  

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Bumping semi old post.

I got another model of DYMO label device at work, one you plug on computer (usb). Anyhow, i guess it s the same label material and ink. Over the years, the letters tend to turn yellowish and fade. Seem it doenst cope well the sunlight.

Surprisingly, the regular laser printed stuff last longer and the colour doesnt change.

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 year later...

Even though Brady printer looks bulky and long, the lightness and practicality features beat it. This wire label maker creates more detailed labels than the generic devices, and my experience in flagging cables, identification of hardware, shelves, and toolbox proves this.

• 2 weeks later...

Avery return address labels from walmart feed into your regular printer, while you design and print from the website.

$4 in the US. for sheets and sheets of them