Interesting find!

Txwyfan

Hello, this is my very 1st time to be in this forum. We found this really large rock in West Texas with all kinds of markings on it I hope that you guys can zoom in to see details I'm assuming they're fossils.  Any ideas? 

20200621_201906.jpg

We found that this large rock in West Texas. Has very interesting markings I assume they are fossils ..any ideas? This is only one half of it. I will put the other side in a reply.

20200621_202053.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

You are correct! It is a large chunk of "fossiliferous" limestone. Most of Texas was a shallow inland sea in the Cretaceous era (100 million years ago) and so we find lots of limestone with marine creatures, like clams (what you have here), oysters, gastropods and sea urchins, among other things. Keep an eye to the ground and you'll start to see lots of fossils in our rocks! 

• I found this Informative 5

Hello and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  Looks like your off and running.  Hang on and this group will bring you along for a fun ride!

Just curious we also have  Rocks with large holes in them made by Indians, would anyone be intrested in seeing pictures?

Hello and welcome! I agree with JamieLynn’s assessment. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Welcome @Txwyfan

I have merged your two topics about this find.  It's better to keep the commentary about the same piece in one topic...less confusion that way.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Welcome to the Forum. :)

These look like cross sections through some shell fossils.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Txwyfan said:

we also have  Rocks with large holes in them made by Indians,

Why yes, of course.  We have an Archeology section for just such posts.  :popcorn:

Hello and Welcome, While I am a vertebrate Paleontologist I obtained my degree at the University of Texas at Austin. I had never seen so much limestone in my life. I completely agree with the first assessment of limestone with shells in various states of weathering. These sites are fun and usually very rewarding. The map of Texas was fabulous. when you get to the western side of the state things become more interesting.

Thanks for posting.

There are some places in West Texas where the marine fossils are silicified within the massive limestone (I'm thinking of the Glass Mountains).  If your specimens are silicified, an acid bath (muriatic acid will do) for a few days or a few weeks may produce amazing finds.  (The usual precautions are advised.)

brachiopodglassmtn.jpg

coralsolitarypermianglassmtns.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest