Access to Chico Fm and Cottonwood Creek Ammonites

Anna0704

Hello. I’m new here, and apologize if I’m breaching etiquette.

I have an 11 yr old who lost his beloved fossil collection in the Camp Fire. We had a difficult escape, and also lost some pets. I mention this because my son has been slowly navigating life and PTSD the past year and a half, and has only recently begun showing interest in rebuilding his collection and returning tentatively to the activities he loved. We have hunted at some coastal areas, such as Scotia, Centerville beach, Moonstone beach. Also, pit 5 of the Pit River, and shark teeth in Bakersfield. Embarrassingly, I have been unable to locate exposed and accessible areas of the Chico Fm. We have gone to a few areas of Bidwell park, suggested by park employees, we have had no luck. This is the first area my kid has shown interest in again, and its really helped to pull him out of a difficult time. I have also been told there were some fossils, including ammonites, in an area near the north fork of Cottonwood Creek. Any information shared regarding these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello. Sorry to hear about what your son has gone through since the Camp Fire. I worked with quite a few Camp Fire kiddos either at the Gateway Science Museum or with Fossils on Wheels. Each kid deals with it differently. I hope your son catches the fossil bug again. 

Right before the lockdown, I was starting to work on a connection for collecting in the Chico Formation. My understanding is there are exposures around Butte College but it’s private land. If I am able to get further with that connection, I will be happy to see if I can perhaps help you out. 

In the meantime, my son and I would be happy to send your son some fossils, especially shark teeth. Let me know if we can help ! 

• I found this Informative 4