Leaf Fossils in Eastern Kansas

oboemily

Hey, everyone! I've recently found the creekbed in Brook Creek Park in Lawrence, KS, to be a fertile source of leaf fossils (I believe they are primarily macroneuropteris). I'm pretty sure they are washing into the creekbed from somewhere, though. I think they are in the Tonganoxie Sandstone. Does anyone know of any good public exposures of the Tonganoxie Sandstone in which I could hunt for some more specimens?

Thanks!

IMG_2431.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2
hadrosauridae

I cant help answer your question but those are great looking finds!  I know that the Sternberg museum has a large leaf plate on display that appears to be the same material as yours.  I didnt pay attention to the location it came from, but if you are finding yours, you should be pretty close to the source.  I wouldnt bother with trying to find public spots.  Find the private property its coming from and seek out permission.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks! I hope to be able to go out to Hays sometime in the coming months, and I'll be sure to visit the Sternberg Museum if it's open! I attended KU for three years while earning my doctorate and I never made it to KU's Natural History Museum, either (for shame, I know!) And now it's closed! Hopefully they'll open up, at least for limited occupancy soon!

Castle Rock

I was just at the Sternberg Museum a couple of weeks ago and I can assure you that it IS open.  I can also tell you that the leaf plate they have there was collected near Ellsworth, KS and is from the Dakota Ss.  I wish I had ANY collecting sites near me!   Dave 

Thanks, Dave! I hope I'll get to visit Hays soon, but it's looking like I won't have any good reason to drive out to western Kansas for a while. Not sure yet if Ft. Hays State will be online only next semester or if they'll hold in-person classes...