potomac chesapeake bay east shore question

butchndad

hello

the west side of the Chesapeake Bay is famous for vertebrate fossils at sites like Calvert Cliffs

has anyone found or know or finds of vertebrate fossils on the EAST coast of the bay?

thanks

One way to evaluate to fossil potential of the east shore for fossil hunting is to look at the geological maps in "Geologic Map of Maryland (1968) Index" at:

http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/geo/index.html

Unfotunately, it looks like the east coast of Chesapeake Bay consists mostly of Pleistocene strata that lack the fossils found on its west coast.

In Queen Anne County, there is some Aquia Formation shown along short segments of the coast and Calvert Formation indicated along interior

drainages and along Wye Island's shoreline at http://www.mgs.md.gov/esic/geo/que.html .

Yours,

Paul H.

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/22/2020 at 7:37 PM, butchndad said:

hello

the west side of the Chesapeake Bay is famous for vertebrate fossils at sites like Calvert Cliffs

has anyone found or know or finds of vertebrate fossils on the EAST coast of the bay?

thanks

Yeah, I can PM you if you want. 

15 hours ago, EMP said:

Yeah, I can PM you if you want. 

yes, please

particularly interested in the Chestertown area but anything regarding the whole east coast would be appreciated

PM me 

thank you

Edited by Kane
Email address removed

Hi @butchndad!

It's probably not a good idea to post your email address directly into the forum because of spammers - you can always use the "Personal Messaging" option to send another member your email (it's the little envelope at the top of the screen - at least that's what it looks like on my screen!).  I'll tag some administrators/moderators - perhaps they can remove your email address... @JohnJ @Fossildude19 @FossilDAWG @digit @Kane

• I found this Informative 5

Indeed. There are email scrapers that love nothing more than to harvest email addresses and add to your spam load. Best practice is to invite other members to contact you through the personal messaging functionality when for conversations of a more sensitive information or of limited interest to the wider forum. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

The Delaware Geological Survey also has some interesting information about fossils and collecting east of Chesapeake Bay.