My Birthday is coming up in a few days and I am looking to knock something off of my bucket list. :) 

This insect has caught my eye. It is within my budget and from a reputable seller, but unfortunately, I know little about fossilized insects, and less about ones from China. I have done some research and it seems that Dragonflies (and many other insects) are common in the given formation. From what I can tell, there is nothing suspicious about this one, but I thought I would poll the audience just in case. ;) 

Dragonfly Larvae (Roughly 2in or 5cm long)

Yixian Formation (Cretaceous)

Huangbangi Valley from Liaoning Province of China

cretaceous-dragonfly-larvae-5a.thumb.jpg.790c9f106ead5d209ac5b568dad3ccea.jpg

cretaceous-dragonfly-larvae-5b.thumb.jpg.a49e57995e75efa746e5fc96a83a38cf.jpg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Looks fine, but is not a dragonfly larva - this is a very common mayfly larva (Ephemeropsis trisetalis ). 

• I found this Informative 4

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

4 hours ago, Pemphix said:

Looks fine for me.

Keep the Export-ban in mind...:unsure:

I know about the export ban, but was under the impression that it was mainly for vertebrate fossils and that the common invertebrates (like most insects) were generally ok. I don't want to purchase anything exported illegally, so I'll do more digging into that before committing.

3 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

I think it's not a draonfly nymph but an Ephemeropsis, a mayfly nymph.

3 hours ago, oilshale said:

Looks fine, but is not a dragonfly larva - this is a very common mayfly larva (Ephemeropsis trisetalis ). 

Thanks for the correction in identification! Much appreciated!  If I end up buying it, I'll be glad to know it's true identity.  :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)