A Glorious New Era For Briggs Road???

Calico Jack

I finally got back to Syracuse to visit family and got some fossil hunting time in. I started the day at Cole Hill and after getting completely skunked (not to mention hot sweaty and frustrated), I went over to Briggs Road to cheer myself up with some guaranteed E. Rana bugs. When I got there, I found the site much different from previous visits. The whole thing is torn up and there is a ton of fresh exposure. I would say the pit is now at least doubled in size. Based on my experience with the weathering rate of Briggs material, the excavation isnt too old. Partials and rollers were lying around everywhere like it was an easter egg hunt. I found a handful just glancing around on the surface. It was the easiest fossil hunting I've ever done. Most of the trilobits I found were on the lower bench and in the spoil piles- I had hoped that the excavation would expose a new trilo layer on the upper bench, but apart from scattered material that didn't seem to be the case. I left the partials and rollers behind for others to enjoy and took home two bugs that I hope will prove complete after some prepping.

Safety Note: There is now a lot of loose material along the rim of both the upper and lower benches. I recommend bringing a hard hat or helmet if you're going to dig or sift through the material along the quarry walls.

IMG_0924.jpg.94b228d902faf6e077e0ea06d15cd5fb.jpgIMG_0922.jpg.ea5bcf626cda181331c5f6f27101eb81.jpgIMG_0923.jpg.d5a017a3d8a0bc927c843047b1cfadf2.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

what kind of artifial outcrop is this?  Is it a highway gravel quarry?  What do they do with this shale?

I think it is used as a gravel pit or for fill, but honestly idk for sure.

I'm surprised the new owner didn't kick you out of there, as has been the case with the past few visitors. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I'm surprised the new owner didn't kick you out of there, as has been the case with the past few visitors. 

I didnt realize ownership had changed. I guess that makes sense with the new activity though.