Bone found on Holden Beach, NC

Angus

Found this on the beach at Holden Beach, NC.  I don't know much about bones and fossils, but it passed the "lick" test.  I looked for similar images online and most didn't look to be this worn/polished around the edges, so my uneducated mind is guessing it's fairly old.  And it does appear to be fossilized...not terribly heavy, but feels more rock-like than bone-like (compared to a whale bone carving I happen to have that is about twice the size of this, but lighter).  Any idea what animal this might be from?

Thanks for your help!

IMG_8934.HEIC

IMG_8933.HEIC

IMG_8930.HEIC

IMG_8930.jpg  IMG_8933.jpg  IMG_8934.jpg

24 minutes ago, Angus said:

Found this on the beach at Holden Beach, NC.  I don't know much about bones and fossils, but it passed the "lick" test.  I looked for similar images online and most didn't look to be this worn/polished around the edges, so my uneducated mind is guessing it's fairly old.  And it does appear to be fossilized...not terribly heavy, but feels more rock-like than bone-like (compared to a whale bone carving I happen to have that is about twice the size of this, but lighter).  Any idea what animal this might be from?

Thanks for your help!

IMG_8934.HEIC

IMG_8933.HEIC

IMG_8930.HEIC

I uploaded converted .jpg files to your post.  :) 

HEIC format files don't show up well on the Forum, unless you are using an I-Device. 

It is better to upload files converted to the .jpg formate. 

There are plenty of free on-line converters.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

I uploaded converted .jpg files to your post.  :) 

Thanks for the assist, Tim!  I'll bear that in mind in the future.

There's quite a lot of wear. I don't know if there's enough left for a positive ID, but I'm not a bone expert, so stay tuned.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 6/23/2020 at 3:14 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

There's quite a lot of wear. I don't know if there's enough left for a positive ID, but I'm not a bone expert, so stay tuned.

Thanks, Mark.  I had a feeling it might be too small a piece (it's roughly 2 inches long and 1 inch wide...or 5 cm by 2.5 cm), and assumed it was once part of a larger bone.  I'll be interested to see if anyone has any guesses as to whether it might to be an ocean or land dweller, and maybe a very rough "older than" threshold.  But I totally get that might be hoping for too much.  And will apply what I'm able to learn here for next time...

I'd guess dugong or manatee rib judging by the minimal porosity at the more complete end. It would be probably Pliocene or Pleistocene but lots of Cretaceous also pumped up on Holden Beach. Have seen Mosasaur and Plesiosaur material from there and the Peedee echinoids from there are really nice.

15 hours ago, Plax said:

I'd guess dugong or manatee rib judging by the minimal porosity at the more complete end. It would be probably Pliocene or Pleistocene but lots of Cretaceous also pumped up on Holden Beach. Have seen Mosasaur and Plesiosaur material from there and the Peedee echinoids from there are really nice.

Thanks for the info, Plax.  That at least gives me a better sense of the possibilities and potential time periods.  I'll really have to be on the lookout for additional finds on my return trips to Holden.