Eoptychoparia - A valid genus?

siteseer

A friend has a trilobite marked as Eoptychoparia piochensis from the Cambrian of Pioche, Nevada (Pioche Formation).  I wasn't familiar with it and looked it up but couldn't find much info at all.  Is that genus valid (maybe just rare)?  I collected a couple of different spots out there about twenty years ago - didn't find much - and don't remember hearing about E. piochensis. 

Thanks,

Jess

Eoptychoparia remains a valid genus, however, the current name combination of this trilobite is: Eokochaspis piochensis

Palmer 1979 erected the new species and Sundberg & McCollum 2000 reclassified it within the new genus: Eokochaspis

image.thumb.png.932b25abe4e2770524e25ebb176f0734.png

Palmer, A.R., Halley, R.B. 1979

Physical Stratigraphy and Trilobite Biostratigraphy of the Carrara Formation (Lower and Middle Cambrian) in the Southern Great Basin. 

United States Geological Survey, Professional Paper, 1047:1-131  PDF LINK

Sundberg, F.A., McCollum, L.B. 2000

Ptychopariid Trilobites of the Lower-Middle Cambrian Boundary Interval, Pioche Shale, Southeastern Nevada.

Journal of Paleontology 74(4):604-630  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

23 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'd look it up but @piranha will probably drop in to answer before I could get anything useful posted.

Don

Hi Don,

Yeah, Pirahna was too fast for you with a scan and links.  Thanks for dropping in, though.

Jess

22 hours ago, piranha said:

Eoptychoparia remains a valid genus, however, the current name combination of this trilobite is: Eokochaspis piochensis

Palmer 1979 erected the new species and Sundberg & McCollum 2000 reclassified it within the new genus: Eokochaspis

image.thumb.png.932b25abe4e2770524e25ebb176f0734.png

Palmer, A.R., Halley, R.B. 1979

Physical Stratigraphy and Trilobite Biostratigraphy of the Carrara Formation (Lower and Middle Cambrian) in the Southern Great Basin. 

United States Geological Survey, Professional Paper, 1047:1-131  PDF LINK

Sundberg, F.A., McCollum, L.B. 2000

Ptychopariid Trilobites of the Lower-Middle Cambrian Boundary Interval, Pioche Shale, Southeastern Nevada.

Journal of Paleontology 74(4):604-630  PDF LINK

Hi Scott,

Thanks for checking and adding the scans and links.  I appreciate it

Jess.