New Revision Paper on Jurassic Theropod, Sarcosaurus

Omnomosaurus

I  remember that an unpublished manuscript by Stephan Pickering, Samuel Welles, and H.P. Powell cited in Stephan Pickering's 1995 book Jurassic Park: Unauthorized Jewish Fractals in Philopatry wanted to call the Sarcosaurus specimen from Warwickshire "Liassaurus huenei". However, that name was never published, and the new Sarcosaurus paper shows that the Warwickshire specimen is indeed referrable to Sarcosaurus woodi as stated by Friedrich von Huene.

• I found this Informative 1

Richard Butler posted these images and made the following comments:

Sarcosaurus woodi is a small theropod dinosaur named in 1921 by Andrews, based on a very incomplete skeleton (including a partial pelvis & femur) from Barrow upon Soar in Leicestershire. It was found in Lower Jurasssic marine rocks dating to about 198 million years ago.  In 1932, German palaeontologist Friedrich von Huene briefly described another, more complete theropod skeleton from rocks of similar age at Wilmcote in Warwickshire. This specimen is in the Warwick Museum collections, but has never been fully described. In our paper we fully describe the Warwick specimen & refer it to Sarcosaurus woodi. We also fully assess the phylogenetic position of Sarcosaurus for the first time. This is one of only two dinosaur species known from Warwickshire to date

EbNxvNWWsAIFGGg.thumb.jpeg.5fae2774c185efac371808f917f635c6.jpeg

EbNxJDpX0AAVolB.thumb.jpeg.9c2814bf469f19ba8df6f7f24210d94a.jpegEbNyPkAXkAMl8_R.thumb.jpeg.5ad734405ef95fad75df2b179e0c7735.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for that extra info Troodon & DD1991. It's fantastic to see a species discovered 99 years ago finally be properly assessed and categorised for the first time!