Quick Calvert Cliffs Trip

ShoreThing

It's been awhile since I've posted...but the good news is that I've been able to make many trips to Calvert Cliffs since my last post. Yesterday was my most recent trip down. The predicted tide and swell forecast looked good and I had visions of megs dancing in my head during the 2.5 hour trip down. I arrived by 6am and after a nice nature walk I was beach-side by 6:30.

The tide was high as it usually is during the summer, but it never really went down at low tide (~11:00). That being said, there was very little beach to search and not much being kicked up. However, it was great weather and I spent about 6 hours enjoying the Chesapeake Bay before I called it a day (I usually stay until 5:00ish, but with no beach to search I decided to skip the traffic jam on 695 that is inevitable between 4:00-7:00).

I found about 50 small teeth, some bay glass, half a cookie, and saved a few fish & horse crabs. My find of the day and total trip maker is below. Besides some large (for the area) meg frags, it is my largest tooth to date. I couldn't believe it when I saw it sitting along the high tide line, and even forgot my phone in the water when I examined it after snapping a few pics and filming an uncovering video (thank goodness for waterproof cases). Anyway, below are a few pics as found, unearthed, and dried.

Although I didn't score any megs, it was a great day to enjoy nature by myself without seeing another person other than a family on a boat that anchored and was enjoying the bay themselves. Any help on ID and scarcity would be great. I'm thinking either lower isurus oxyrinchus/desori (mako), carcharodon hastalis, or possibly carcharodon plicatilis. The exposed formations at this location are Calvert and Choptank, with possible wash from St. Marys. 

• I found this Informative 2

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.

20200622_084536.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

20200622_084550.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

20200622_085203.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

20200622_085209.jpg

20200623_171414.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

20200623_171335.jpg

20200623_171248.jpg

20200623_171308.jpg

4 hours ago, ShoreThing said:

Any help on ID and scarcity would be great. I'm thinking either lower isurus oxyrinchus/desori (mako), carcharodon hastalis, or possibly carcharodon plicatilis. The exposed formations at this location are Calvert and Choptank, with possible wash from St. Marys.

Nice find. If this is Miocene it would be Carcharodon hastalis.

• I found this Informative 3

Awesome mako! Glad to here you've been getting in more trips and I wish you the best in terms of future finds.

: )

Beautiful lower Carcharodon hastalis

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice hastalis! I have one exactly like that from Matoaka Cabins... same size and preservation. I probably lost a couple years of my life when I found that....

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

14 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Nice find. If this is Miocene it would be Carcharodon hastalis.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure!

11 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Beautiful lower Carcharodon hastalis

Thanks, I knew that you would know for sure! I hope your summer is going well and that you are learning lots!

10 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

Nice hastalis! I have one exactly like that from Matoaka Cabins... same size and preservation. I probably lost a couple years of my life when I found that....

Thanks. My heart was thumping, that's for sure! I hope you have been having great finds these past few months!

8 minutes ago, ShoreThing said:

Thanks. My heart was thumping, that's for sure! I hope you have been having great finds these past few months!

Yep! I’ve wondered where you’ve been... :)

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Just now, FossilsAnonymous said:

Yep! I’ve wondered where you’ve been...

I've been crazy busy with work the past few months, but I have been able to get down to the cliffs a few times. The COVID situation made it a bit tough these last few months, but I get down every few weeks. I try to stick to week days with Brownies being closed and people flocking to other sites further south on the weekends. I hope you have been able to get out and have made some great finds!