Fossil Sponge ?

Nick Yiu

Recently found on the salty water. This ceramic like specimen, except for the current color and spores around it, is an exact replica and about the same size to modern day sponge commonly found in the water I frequented..,

This is a perfectly stonified Sponge, but I'm wondering if this COULD BE FOSSIL, since the commoness to a modern one?

post-2295-12606717352778_thumb.jpgpost-2295-1260671798962_thumb.jpgpost-2295-1260671815888_thumb.jpg

To those unfamilar with this tropical material, sadly, there's no current posting of live image of this kind. But here's for the background, Live One comes in dark green or some species in brown and with rubbery textures, and of course there's no spores.

Edited by Nick Yiu

From the look of the polyps I think its coral.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

:rolleyes: Seldom, Thanks for sharing your idea. I'm sorry though that your guesses is just this closed. The material is really a Sponge, but I was wondering if this qualify as Fossil since I had seen alot of this kind alive..., The Polyps or those holes around are probably colony or worm borows.

First time I have seen polyp shaped worm holes. But you post asking for ID when you have made up your mine and it can not be changed. This is the last one of your post I will reply to. And by the way it is a coral.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

First time I have seen polyp shaped worm holes. But you post asking for ID when you have made up your mine and it can not be changed. This is the last one of your post I will reply to. And by the way it is a coral.

Hello! Seldom, :) My regrets and I'm very sorry. Maybe I'm not clear with my statement or description of the object., As I said, based on simmilarity it had on modern day and living Sponge, this ceramic-like specimen is really resembles like it, a Sponge. Note the void or empty interior of this specimen. Coral is solid and don't appear like this...,

Below, some images of Clams showing its' surface simmilarly eaten away by worms or whatever;

post-2295-12606978424212_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12606979164919_thumb.jpgpost-2295-12606979317881_thumb.jpg

If you won't mind, I only asked if object could be Identified or I should rephrase it, to be categorized as Fossil?

Thanks for sharing your time.

Nick... you do NOT have a sponge. Sponges are 'soft', and their skeletons are made of non-connected silica and calcium carbonate needle-like spicules - look here: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/porifera/porskel.html.

They do NOT have solid skeletons. There are plenty of types of corals with holes in them. Look it up. I've recovered coral in Hawai'i that looks exactly like that. Here's something to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral

Take this from someone who's taken an invertebrate paleontology course.

Bobby

Recently found on the salty water. This ceramic like specimen, except for the current color and spores around it, is an exact replica and about the same size to modern day sponge commonly found in the water I frequented..,

This is a perfectly stonified Sponge, but I'm wondering if this COULD BE FOSSIL, since the commoness to a modern one?

post-2295-12606717352778_thumb.jpgpost-2295-1260671798962_thumb.jpgpost-2295-1260671815888_thumb.jpg

To those unfamilar with this tropical material, sadly, there's no current posting of live image of this kind. But here's for the background, Live One comes in dark green or some species in brown and with rubbery textures, and of course there's no spores.

Perhaps it would help if you posted a comparrison picture of the sponge you say this resembles.

Be true to the reality you create.

Yes Frank, I did. But sadly, there's just fewer and incomplete posting, and nothing like the one I sees on the water to be found on the web.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral

Take this from someone who's taken an invertebrate paleontology course.

Bobby, Thanks for sharing your valued time. I really appreciate the effort and educational background I'm having from your link above. :D

:wacko: Object from that link looks very intersting. But I noted each pod or protrusions are independent from, or disperse or set farther from the other, and It's kind of hairy on the surface.., Whereas in comparison, my supposed Sponge, each protrusion are closer to the other. And if its' alive, I think It must have a neat rubbery surface and browny or dark green color and without those hair like growth on the surface.

:rolleyes: By the way, I only named this specimen Sponge as my friend here calls it anyway. I'm not really familar of names, so do pardon if I've erred on the name. And, can you Please tell me further if object is Fossil?

:) Thanks!

Sorry about being rough - the examples given by the website are just a minority of the wide variety of coral skeletons. There is an incredible variety in terms of their morphology, which includes many modern forms that look identical to your coral specimen. Sponges... just don't look like that - at all. It's 100% coral.

Bobby

Bobby, For that great information, Thanks again.., So be it, this is perhaps the newest kind of coral I happen to have.., And now please allow me this querry, Would this specimen qualify as Fossil?

By the way, I've seen another kind of live object resembling like giant mushroom. Its' top spanning nearly five feet across. I hope this is what Sponge is?

Thanks alot for the treasure of information you shared. Be well!

Edited by Nick Yiu