Peat Burns

I'm thinking this might be a shard of bivalve shell, but I'm having a hard time placing it in the context of the possible taxa.  Just wanted to post for ideas before I toss it in case it's something more notable.  DSR, Windom Shale, Moscow Fm., Middle Devonian.  Scale in mm.

20200625_132743.thumb.jpg.fb1c24de53dc8de3d494a337849eb319.jpg

I don't have my NYS books near but it does remind me of a bivalve or two from the Middle Devonian.

But in general I NEVER throw out anything I can't identify. My collection is peppered with specimens that await. I know from experience that over time their identities will be revealed.  A new book or paper or a more complete specimen will come along. 

Set it aside but don't toss it.

two cents...

• I found this Informative 3

I would say bivalve shell fragment, but I wouldn't chuck it out.

I'd put it away somewhere safe but out of the way. In the shed, behind all the old paint pots, or something. 

Because you can guarantee that in six years time someone will post something extraordinary and you'll think, 'Hang on a mo, I've got a bit of one of those put aside somewhere safe!" 

Of course, you'll never find the thing again, so you may as well have binned it in the first place. :D

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png