Could this be fossilized bone or petrified wood?

Mila15

Thank you for your knowledge! I hadn’t even thought about their being fossilized burrows as I’m a novice and just trying to soak up any and all info out their. Also, just came across this forum and, wow, its amazing!

The context it was found in could help or contradict the burrow idea. If it seems unlikely that the shape could be easily formed by other means, such as a ledge with fractures roughly this shape and a stream flowing over it, the burrow idea gains credence. 

• I found this Informative 3

12 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The context it was found in could help or contradict the burrow idea. If it seems unlikely that the shape could be easily formed by other means, such as a ledge with fractures roughly this shape and a stream flowing over it, the burrow idea gains credence. 

I agree. The burrow idea is plausible, but I have seen a lot of limestone weathered out in similar shapes.

It looks rather large to my eye for an invertebrate burrow if it is sitting on a 2x4 board.

A size reference and location information would go a long way.

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I found this in southern Indiana in a creek at the bottom of a small waterfall. It is about 14 inches long by about 4 wide and is unusually heavy, which is what led me to ask.