Would y’all mind helping a lady out? Hope everyone is ok!!

Pbassham

Hey y’all, it’s been awhile, hope y’all have been safe!! I found this in my driveway while looking at all the cool rocks that have been flooded to the surface in the past year.  I’m 1/10 of mile to the water of Elk River at the Eastern most point of Lauderdale County North Alabama and Limestone Co.  Our town boundaries are all water ways except north which ends at Giles Co, Tennessee. So it’s not hard to be close to the waterways, Elk River, and the banks. and that’s where all of the house on my road get there driveways lol (don’t tell TVA). My ruler is hiding but I have a 3x6 envelope and it’s about 3 in wide, 2 in high and 2 in deep.  It looks like a sponge fossil puffball but those lines all connect beautifully with no stragglers.  The light/ bright yellow lines are raised so it looks embossed, but it’s natural and the fissure does have small crystals present. 

E2E75AFE-567C-494E-B022-0D7F1DA692C4.jpeg

627D11D0-AD52-4955-9085-5EDE5E5658DF.jpeg

If a metal knife blade cannot scratch it then it is quartz and agate. If the knife scratches it and it fizzes in acid then it is calcite.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I think it could be some sort of river tumbled fossil, but not sure what it is. I could make a few wild guesses, but I’m afraid they wouldn’t be much help. :(  

It is a neat piece though. I would have definitely grabbed it. If it’s not a fossil, it would end up on the cool rock shelf for sure! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 1 month later...