Concave convex Keichousaur

FF7_Yuffie

I know these are often suspect, but this being both concave and convrx seems hopeful. Bit of a botch on neck and head, since that is on the other side.

On most I see for sale, the bones are usyally darker. Is that down to a poor prep or are tge darker ones often colored/highlighted.

Thanks. Getting a Keich never appealed to me, but if price stays low...

Screenshot_20200628-181240_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200628-181105_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200628-181118_eBay.jpg

Layers of rock were split and if the rock splits through the fossil you get a positive and a negative (plate side with the fossil and plate side with an imprint of the fossil) like in the example above with the bones showing completely or sometimes it splits just partially or you see just a ghost (a bulge) in the plate if the rock splits above the fossils and the Keicho is deeper in matrix. That's what you see here - a positive and a negative, except it's not actually a positive and a negative, head is in stuck in the negative plate side.

Color of the bones: it's unpreped, a thin layer of matrix is still covering the bones, if prepped the bones would show and color of the bones would get darker. It would prep very easy (if you don't transfer the head) and fast (I would recommend sending it to a pro for preparation however, without experience and the right tools and technique, it's not easy and you will destroy it), but the bones are already visible, so you could keep as is. 

It's not destroyed in a fast commercial preparation, that's why imho this one is a good specimen, for the price maybe the best choice from all currently available on your favourite auction site. If the price stays reasonable, I would recommend it. 

I know these are often suspect

Keichos are common, not worth faking imho, they just restore parts that jump or are destroyed in preparation. 

• I found this Informative 3

Members, please remember that this forum is not the place to discuss the trends in market values.  Please take those conversations to a Private Message.  Thanks.

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ