Sharks teeth at the jersey shore beach?

Dawn Hopkins

Are there a lot of cretaceous era sharks teeth along the beaches near Belmar? A friend said he found about 300 teeth over time there and I wondered if it was from older or newer sharks. Thank you! 

They wouldn't be Cretaceous since there are no Cretaceous sediments exposed along the New Jersey shore south of Atlantic Highlands. 

Thank you, that is what I thought but wasn't sure if any of the rivers we look for teeth in dump into the ocean by Belmar.  

They’re most likely Pleistocene 

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I have found about 50+ shark teeth on the south jersey beaches over the past 3 years and they all have been modern teeth

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

I have found about 50+ shark teeth on the south jersey beaches over the past 3 years and they all have been modern teeth

That’s interesting. Do you have any pics?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I would be curious to see some too! Here is a modern piece from the beach I had to pick up..

20200630_084347.jpg

20200630_084347.thumb.jpg.ec0b6cf5b92dc94cf77cec760a2af6f2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

8 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

That’s interesting. Do you have any pics?

@frankh8147

These are some of the better teeth I have found over the years at my place at the shore.  3 or 4 years ago they did a ton of beach restoration becasue of hurricane Sandy.  I think that has help with the South Jersey beaches being more productive with teeth.

@hokietech96 Those are fossil teeth. Really neat for a beach here

2 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

@hokietech96 Those are fossil teeth. Really neat for a beach here

Thanks.  I was misleading with my original statement.  I should have said modern sharks; meaning not extinct sharks.  The two white ones are not fossilized yet and that one bull shark tooth seems to be inbetween.

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I would be curious to see some too! Here is a modern piece from the beach I had to pick up..

20200630_084347.jpg

Maybe a fish jaw? The spikes reminded me of a porcupine fish’s body spikes, but here there is jawbone so cant be that.

3 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

20200630_084347.jpg  20200630_084347.thumb.jpg.ec0b6cf5b92dc94cf77cec760a2af6f2.jpg

Monkfish or Anglerfish?  IMAGES

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Shark river / Kirkwood lag teeth are found at the beach near Belmar. Only source I know of for the eocene shark Xiphodolamia. Elasmo.com has a good write up on this taxon.

5 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Thanks.  I was misleading with my original statement.  I should have said modern sharks; meaning not extinct sharks.  The two white ones are not fossilized yet and that one bull shark tooth seems to be inbetween.

they all look like fossils to me. Color doesn't matter that much.

5 hours ago, Plax said:

they all look like fossils to me. Color doesn't matter that much.

Agree.  These look like a mix of Miocene and more recent Plio-Pleistocene.  There's been reports of Kirkwood fm beach teeth from elsewhere along the shore from dredging in recent years as well. 

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

19 minutes ago, non-remanié said:

Agree.  These look like a mix of Miocene and more recent Plio-Pleistocene.  There's been reports of Kirkwood fm beach teeth from elsewhere along the shore from dredging in recent years as well. 

The beach I found them from was extended from dredging. It was so cool seeing them pipe it into the beach. What a process. They worked through the night 

21 minutes ago, non-remanié said:

How would you tell if they are a mix or either Miocene or plio-Pleistocene?

Hi,

OK with Tim about recent anglerfish.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 8:46 AM, frankh8147 said:

20200630_084347.jpg

20200630_084347.thumb.jpg.ec0b6cf5b92dc94cf77cec760a2af6f2.jpg

Looks like a Monkfish jaw, I have found similar on local beaches as well. 

Hi,

Anglerfish and monkfish are the same :rolleyes:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg