Some cool Jurassic Dino teeth that are not Morrison Formation

fossilsonwheels

I’ve been slowly working on improving our Jurassic dinosaur fossil collection. One of the major goals has been expanding beyond North America and the Morrison Formation. We recently picked up two fossils that accomplish that goal. 

Up first we we have a pretty nice sauropod tooth from Madagascar. This is from what is usually referred to as the Isalo III Formation. I believe the Sakahara formation would be the more accurate name given this comes from Andronomamy. 

This tooth is kind of interesting. It matches the Eusauropoda morphology of a paper published on sauropod teeth from Madagascar. I researched this a bit further to see if I could maybe get it to a family level. This tooth seemed be close to the morphology of the French sauropod Vouivria, which is a basal Brachiosaurid. Based on what I read, Vouivria was described from material that had been assigned to Lapparentosaurus which is what I thought this tooth might be except it doesn’t match the morphology of the Brachiosaurid/Titanosauriformes teeth in the paper. 

After my brain imploded from trying to figure this out, I decided to just say we have a nice Eusauropoda tooth from Madagascar lol 

768862F8-448A-4584-8620-1F855DA7FE79.jpeg

11B46C9E-7FC9-4611-8D8F-2A5BA2628228.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

The second tooth is a small theropod tooth from the Lourinhã Formation of Portugal. It is a small tooth and missing the tip but the serrations are in good shape. I lucked out here because these teeth are hard to ID, especially partials. I ran this by @Troodon before I bought it and Frank thought it matched up well with Allosaurud morphology :)   

This represents not only our first European dinosaur fossil but this is the first tooth we have that we can reasonably call Allosaur. It also was not a bank breaker which always makes me happy 

• I found this Informative 1

Nice tooth from Madagascar.  Boy they are hard to assign even with the paper.  There are multiple rows of replacement teeth in some of those jaws with lots of variation.  Hopefully we can get a skull someday to put a name to them.  Good pickup

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice tooth from Madagascar.  Boy they are hard to assign even with the paper.  There are multiple rows of replacement teeth in some of those jaws with lots of variation.  Hopefully we can get a skull someday to put a name to them.  Good pickup

Thank you Frank. I like this one. Not a bad pick up. I’m definitely rooting for some skulls to be found !

3 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

a picture might help lol

lourhina.jpg

I like this one!  That is a cool tooth.

23 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

I like this one!  That is a cool tooth.

Thank you. Yes it is a nifty tooth. I’m really happy 

20 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

Nice teeth!

Thank you. They are nice additions for sure