Fossil in Alps riverbed

lauraine

hi everyone, 

I found this fossil embedded on honeydew sized rock on a riverbed the the western alpine region of Austria, (Hinterhornbach). I am sorry for not having included a ruler as i was on a hike and did not want to take the rather large stone away from the area at the moment. I am curious to know if this is in fact a fossil of some sort, as I am by no means an expert when it comes to fossils. At the imprints widest point i would say is 10cm. The detailed texture which is printed resembles leather or elephant skin, as there are small wrinkles that run across the shape while the complete shape looks like that of a giant clam.Please let me know if you have more questions of if I left out some info! I am completely new to this forum, here with an abundance of curiosity. Thanks!

*edit: it helps to look at the photo upsidedown, sorry for the orientation, I took the image with my phone and have limited equipment while staying in a remote location! :)

Screenshot_20200628-212635.png  Screenshot_20200628-213753.png

Ammonite external mold fossil is what comes to mind.

The description of the texture sounds almost like that of an algal mat, but they are rare after the Ediacaran. Likely it is the result of weathering.

My idea is that might be an oyster shell fragment in the sediment.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

very cool! so am i potentially looking at a specimen that is +66 million years old? If it is indeed an Ammonite? 

11 hours ago, lauraine said:

Hinterhornbach

This is located in the Northern Calcareous Alps of Austria. These mountains are composed of mostly marine sedimentary rocks about 250-50 Million years old (including the Gosau-group).

Try googling Hinterhornbach and Fossilien, maybe you will find something ;).

@andreas

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Screenshot_20200629-143217.thumb.png.c07ee3027132fa69e324afacc17e484f.pngThanks for all your responses. Very interesting to learn about the historical landscape of this area! Here is a closer look at the texture I was refering to (the leathery creases). I've looked into algal mats or weathering patterns left on mold fossils didn't seem to get much probably because I don't really know what keywords to use or what to look for. This is the first fossil I've ever found by myself, thanks for your insights.