GPayton

One of the only fossils I managed to find at the Texas City dike this weekend, which is well-known as a site for Pleistocene fossils from the Beaumont Clay formation that are pulled to the surface during dredging operations in the nearby shipping channel. I know this tooth isn't Equus, so maybe bison? Any help would be appreciated!  

image.png.64395aa147839b32fca0417f2311724b.pngimage.png.aaedd9f388cdaa15f69743c9414e9bc0.png

• GPayton changed the title to Texas City Dike Bison Tooth?

Thanks! So, looking at the picture, my tooth most closely matches the young adult bison, correct? (Since the roots extend much further than in the old adult's) Would you happen to know the location of this molar in the animal's mouth? Is it upper, lower, left, or right? Thanks again for the excellent picture. 

1 hour ago, Wendigo1014 said:

Thanks! So, looking at the picture, my tooth most closely matches the young adult bison, correct? (Since the roots extend much further than in the old adult's) Would you happen to know the location of this molar in the animal's mouth? Is it upper, lower, left, or right? Thanks again for the excellent picture. 

It's a right m3, that is, the lower third molar.  Similar to a cow's teeth.

cow_lowers_B.JPG.efb6c24dd4a294503a1c2c2d889d7738.JPGcow_lowers_A.JPG.f91977c899c702ecf091721192400377.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest