pjullien

Exciting find....most of what I have found in this area are brachiopods, bivalves, crinoids, coral and some very cool gastropods. 

One of my sons was out with me a couple of days ago and he tried his hand at removing a fossil from the rock while I was working on a brachiopod.  

I didn't notice what he found until he showed me after breaking it free and I couldn't believe it..... I never found one of these and he found one on his first try..... lol    We had to glue two pieces together though...because there was some collateral damage.

IMG_3594a.jpg

IMG_3595a.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Creek - Don said:

Looks like you found a Permian Trilobite.  Nice!

As mentioned in the tags this trilobite is from the Pennsylvanian of Oklahoma: Ameura missouriensis

This paper has info on another Ameura missouriensis found northwest of Ochelata in Osage County.

Pabian, R.K. Strimple, H.L. 1976

Some Missourian Trilobites from Northeastern Oklahoma.
Oklahoma Geology Notes, 36(6):228-230  PDF LINK

Congrats! :fistbump:

image.png.45be0843cf945fca4ea7ffb9b5e8fe4b.png

image.thumb.png.479ff50ed1cbbd33de023fdf07a58056.png

• I found this Informative 6

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Ameura missouriensis

Description: (Shumard) is the least common of the late Pennsylvanian - Early Permian age trilobites to have been found in Nebraska. It has a stratigraphic range from the Hertha Limestone (Pennsylvanian, Missourian) through the Grant Shale (Permian, Big Blue) in Nebraska. It has been found in older rocks (Desmoinesian) in other states. "A. missouriensis" is normally found in thick, near-shore limestone beds that are called called regressive limestones. These were deposited in shallow, warm water when seas withdrew from the North American midcontinent. Pabian and Fagerstrom (1968) studied this species of trilobite in detail and showed that they grew in a rectilinear mode. "A. missouriensis" has also been found in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Wyoming, Oklahoma and Texas. The example that is shown here was collected by W. D. "Ted" White, who is a highly respected amateur collector from Omaha, Nebraska, and it is now on display at the University of Nebraska State Museum.

• I found this Informative 2

9 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

Ameura missouriensis

Description: (Shumard) is the least common of the late Pennsylvanian - Early Permian age trilobites to have been found in Nebraska.

Yes, the stratigraphic range for Ameura extends into the Permian, but in this case the specimens from NE Oklahoma are Pennsylvanian.

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks for all the information and the congrats!  I am a bit surprised that we were able to find Ameura missouriensis  near the lake area.  The pdf shows samples of trilobites being found well north of Lake Skiatook.  The other reason is that I have spent countless hours looking at fossils around that area and this is the first time I have ever seen a trilobite in there.  I am totally excited about it...just that every time I think I have the area figured out, it throws me another curve ball.