July 2020 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

Not much more to add other than that Trio is absolutely amazing.  GREAT Find and Prep.

Found and cleaned: 7/19/20

Species: Composita sp. Brachiopod with complete spiralia 

Geologic age: Mississippian (Lower Burlington Formation chert)

Locality: Henry County, Missouri

Had a ton of luck lately with finding brachiopod internals. This one doesn't disappoint!

20200719_142159.jpg

20200719_140340.jpg

20200719_140428.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

1 hour ago, Jackson g said:

Found and cleaned: 7/19/20

Species: Cranaena globosa steinkern (Terebratulida sp. Brachiopod) with complete spiralia 

Geologic age: Mississippian (Lower Burlington Formation chert)

Locality: Henry County, Missouri

Had a ton of luck lately with finding brachiopod internals. This one doesn't disappoint!

Beautiful, but it's not a terebratulid, they have loops to support the lophophore, not spiralia. 

I think this looks like an athyrid internal structure, so this might be Composita pikensis, methinks. 

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I would suggest a Golden Drool Bucket award for @minnbuckeye, but I don't think it's fair to win one twice! (Just kidding! :P ) Great find Mike! It's a beauty. :wub:

I wouldn't count everyone else out yet! We have some great stuff this month from verts, jaws, and teeth, to preserved internal brachiopd structures. Which I very much like @Jackson g!

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

15 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful, but it's not a terebratulid, they have loops to support the lophophore, not spiralia. 

I think this looks like an athyrid internal structure, so this might be Composita pikensis, methinks. 

Thanks, I made the edit. Any chance you have any brachiopod internal anatomy references you could share or literature(If so just shoot me a pm)? None of the pdfs I have on Mississippian fauna include interal preservations, just outside anatomy (ventral, dorsal, lateral, & anterior views). I asked my go to professor, and he had nothing of the sort. Being an internal mold doesn't help much when wanting to be precise!

7 hours ago, Jackson g said:

Thanks, I made the edit. Any chance you have any brachiopod internal anatomy references you could share or literature(If so just shoot me a pm)? None of the pdfs I have on Mississippian fauna include interal preservations, just outside anatomy (ventral, dorsal, lateral, & anterior views). I asked my go to professor, and he had nothing of the sort. Being an internal mold doesn't help much when wanting to be precise!

Internal molds and preserved structure can, in many cases, be better than external features in brachiopod id. Will chat in PM, i have some useful papers. :) 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

13 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I would suggest a Golden Drool Bucket award for @minnbuckeye, but I don't think it's fair to win one twice! (Just kidding! :P ) Great find Mike! It's a beauty. :wub:

I wouldn't count everyone else out yet! We have some great stuff this month from verts, jaws, and teeth, to preserved internal brachiopd structures. Which I very much like @Jackson g!

There certainly are some great fossils found/prepared this month! I’ve never seen a trilobite preserved that well from the US!

Here’s my first entry into this month’s contest. It is a phyllocarid with both valves and an almost complete telson. (The telson is on the underside and one of the valves is squashed underneath the other). Both the telson and the valves have great detail. 

It was found by me last Saturday.

I’ll be hopefully entering an even nicer fossil later this month. Just gotta finish up the prep. 

Date Found: 7/18/20
Species: Rhinocaris columbina

Geological age: Middle Devonian (Givetian)  Hamilton Group Moscow Formation Windom Member

Location: Deep Springs Road Quarry, Lebanon, Madison County, New York

A09D594B-8001-4614-A400-E30E1131BEB0.thumb.jpeg.e7100b3a31bd979ab6941bd5901528ba.jpegF61221EB-66C0-48B8-A2D3-16C993282F90.thumb.jpeg.f358d4cd791357bcf60d016bb0ee3b03.jpegAAF19CD0-7574-4254-8915-A48719CAF578.thumb.jpeg.4619b7e3d55ce070217364551fcbb516.jpeg557E891D-9DDA-48F4-804A-14992E6F53B9.thumb.jpeg.f39b94707808e8d7be25900d9d516f0e.jpeg

• I found this Informative 8

2 hours ago, Nautiloid said:

Here’s my first entry into this month’s contest. It is a phyllocarid with both valves and an almost complete telson. (The telson is on the underside and one of the valves is squashed underneath the other). Both the telson and the valves have great detail. 

Wow, great find!!! Is your next entry vertebrate find of the month or invertebrate find of the month?

12 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Wow, great find!!! Is your next entry vertebrate find of the month or invertebrate find of the month?

It’s an invertebrate as well. I read you can do two entries in one category. Is that correct?

3 minutes ago, Nautiloid said:

It’s an invertebrate as well. I read you can do two entries in one category. Is that correct?

That is correct. Of course, you'd be splitting your own votes!

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

52 minutes ago, Kane said:

That is correct. Of course, you'd be splitting your own votes!

Very true! I’m fine with that though. 

Actually, I might just do the one this month. Not sure I’m gonna finish the prep before August. Especially since I’m going away all of next week. I’ll see though. I’m pretty close and if I can get it done in the next few days I’ll still enter it. If, not I’ll enter it next month. 

1 hour ago, Nautiloid said:

Very true! I’m fine with that though. 

:dinothumb:

The heading for my entry is:

"Simplify your fossils ;)"

Name: Hippurites nabresinensis Futterer, 1893 (Hippuritid rudist)

Formation: St. Bartholomä-formation, Gosau-group (Campanian)

Site: St. Bartholomä, Styria, Austria (Creek between Kalchberg and Kreuzegg)

Found: 07/05/2020

This two polished transverse sections are about 3 mm away from each other and the specimen consists of two concentric "circles" (outer shell and thin inner shell) with two bulges (the pillars). The former void is filled with light orange, spary calcite. Left section is apical view, right section is adapical view. The left section was impregnated with paraffin to mask the many hairline cracks, so the two look a little bit different.

Franz Bernhard

AN_HippuritesHeritschi_16_klein_Text_kompr.thumb.jpg.befad60ca7ed8a483532a82304ccbea4.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

There goes my first participation in this contest:

Date of discovery: 17/07/2020

Almucidaris falgarsensis (Lambert, 1933)

Terradets Formation (Upper Campanian)

Barcelona, Spain (SE Pyrenees)

DSC_0882.thumb.JPG.045ba7f10823037d3aefa6b416d6eb6b.JPG

Almucidaris is a very uncommon cidarian genus, due to its plates enlarged to form marsupia for breeding. North-American paleontologists Blake and Zinsmeister created it in 1991 and described Almucidaris durhami as the type species, from a specimen found in the Antartic. Till now, only this two species have been found showing this characteristic.

This specimen is the best preserved I know pictured, especially its apical disc.

Prep process:

Picking

DSC_0830.JPG.85863c679d5bab79ea9cac7b1a206aca.JPG

Removing most of matrix with Dremel engraver

DSC_0879.JPG.d7be1e2389555253cc400668cbef5eec.JPG

Applying Hidroxide Potassium scales to remove rest of matrix (KOH withening is removed with vinegar)

DSC_0880.JPG.e8f17b8a831801583d2ab0b1bc803d6a.JPG

• I found this Informative 15

That's one of the prettiest and most interestingly patterned echinoid I've seen. Thanks for the in situ and KOH prep photos to show your process.

Cheers.

-Ken

A stunningly, beautiful echinoid!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi,

Wonderful !

Are there photographs of male specimens of this species? I suppose this one is a female.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

After several consecutive hunts that had turned out to be busts, I persevered and went to same creek again. After spending a good hour and a half finding nothing but mosquitoes, my eyes fell upon a most wondrous sight. An extremely rare and gorgeous Pliosaur tooth with the partial root!!!! I reached out to my paleontologist friend and he concluded that this tooth most likely belongs to Megacephalosaurus eulerti.

These are extraordinarily rare here in North Texas (and in the states in general). I only know of less than a handful that have been found here in the last decade. 

Pliosaur tooth 

Megacephalosaurus eulerti (?)

Eagle Ford formation

Found in North Texas on 7/21/2020

8D046CB5-D0CF-4058-96FD-95DE9DD693B3.jpeg

F933CA6F-BE9E-4524-BF50-7905F8E724E1.png

8EB4A7C6-A046-4518-84B9-B459399D8E9B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

I spent Saturday morning in the company of a good friend outdoors looking for fossils. Beating the sun up out of bed, we headed to explore a new creek. We found broken septarian nodules EVERYWHERE and the odd shark tooth here and there. After an hour of finding zilch, I spotted what appeared to be the one millionth broken nodule. But this one looked different. I walked up to it and started to piece together what it could be. I told my friend, “There is no way this is what I think it is.” What are the odds right? “YES IT IS!” he replied. 

I pulled out a stunning set of associated vertebrae belonging to Xiphactinus audax. 2 full verts with processes, half of a third vertebrae and a tiny piece of a fourth vertebrae. And to make it even better, it’s resting in a flat piece of matrix that acts as a perfect display base. 

Xiphactinus audax
Eagle Ford formation 

Found North Texas on 7/27/2020

ECD191A0-98B3-4701-B387-6876AE3BDCA3.jpeg

2B95A9A7-02F8-4018-91C0-F37EEF7A5587.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11

On 7/13/2020 at 5:18 PM, minnbuckeye said:

Is it my computer or has no one entered this month's competition????????????????????????????????? 

So, I might as well throw one into the ring in hope other entries do not show up, or at least for the invertebrate category!! Then I  may have a chance at victory. LOL  

My find was on 6/15/2020. As can be seen, prep was necessary to bring out the trilobite's detail.Prep was finished on 7/10/2020. I do have to give  @RandyBpartial credit for talking me into showing him this site. And I must heavily credit @isotelus for the wonderful prep! The trilobite is 1.75 inches long.

DSC_0434.thumb.JPG.3785a88154bfbfebf77527934073fd6e.JPG 

This is Thaleops ovatum  

Platteville Formation 

Ordovician 

Grant County, Wisconsin

Great specimen!

13 hours ago, Captcrunch227 said:

I spent Saturday morning in the company of a good friend outdoors looking for fossils. Beating the sun up out of bed, we headed to explore a new creek. We found broken septarian nodules EVERYWHERE and the odd shark tooth here and there. After an hour of finding zilch, I spotted what appeared to be the one millionth broken nodule. But this one looked different. I walked up to it and started to piece together what it could be. I told my friend, “There is no way this is what I think it is.” What are the odds right? “YES IT IS!” he replied. 

I pulled out a stunning set of associated vertebrae belonging to Xiphactinus audax. 2 full verts with processes, half of a third vertebrae and a tiny piece of a fourth vertebrae. And to make it even better, it’s resting in a flat piece of matrix that acts as a perfect display base. 

Xiphactinus audax
Eagle Ford formation 

Found North Texas on 7/27/2020

ECD191A0-98B3-4701-B387-6876AE3BDCA3.jpeg

Wow! That’s so cool!!!:thumbsu:

Florissantia sp. cf. F. quilchenensis

Naches Formation, Central Washington State, USA

Late Eocene and Oligocene.

July 04, 2020

2 of 6 flowers found in the Naches Formation.  I'm currently unable to find record of any other Florissantia sp. finds in this formation.

One flower is compressed transversely (L), and one is compressed laterally (R).

Photos were taken with two different cameras, in natural lighting, LED lighting, and shade.

100_9226.JPG

two flowers (2).jpg

two flowers with size.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Very cool! Faint but unmistakable.

Thanks for brightening up our contest this month with some nice flowers. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

Very cool! Faint but unmistakable.

Thanks for brightening up our contest this month with some nice flowers. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

My pleasure!