I don't see fossil flowers very often

On 7/28/2020 at 1:31 PM, Misha said:

Super cool!

I don't see fossil flowers very often

23 hours ago, Captcrunch227 said:

Those are so awesome! Stunningly beautiful. I'm glad you posted these

23 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Beautiful flowers!!!

Thank you all for your nice comments!  I'm still excited that I found these!!

It's not often I find vertebrate remains in Missouri, or get to post in here twice a month. I feel its worth sharing though, as I've only ever found 3 teeth (two of them being today!) in the Burlington Limestone. The other day I posted in the ID section and luckily what I thought was a piece of a bryzoan encrusted brachiopod, another fossil forum member ID'd correctly as an ancient fish tooth. This got me very excited, so when I got off my overnight shift today, I went out all day to hit my favorite spot of Burlington Limestone. Of course I found nice crinoids for preparation, but 2 teeth are definitely more exciting to find in the Mississippian limestone than a crinoid! Of the two teeth I found today, I am entering this one as it's a nicer size and color. The other tooth is much smaller, with a black and white coloration.

Found and cleaned: 7/30/20

Species: Deltodus sp. Fish tooth

Geologic age: Burlington Formation (Mississippian)

Locality: Henry County, Missouri

Maybe someone with literature or who is good with teeth, unlike I, could maybe determine the actual species? Doubtful, but I have a list of candidates. The species considered valid are-  D. fasciataus, D. grandis, D. occidentalis, D. ornatus, D. spatulatus, D. undulatus, and D. inornatus.

20200730_185126.jpg

20200730_191744.jpg

20200730_192844.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

19 hours ago, Jackson g said:

It's not often I find vertebrate remains in Missouri, or get to post in here twice a month. I feel its worth sharing though, as I've only ever found 3 teeth (two of them being today!) in the Burlington Limestone. The other day I posted in the ID section and luckily what I thought was a piece of a bryzoan encrusted brachiopod, another fossil forum member ID'd correctly as an ancient fish tooth. This got me very excited, so when I got off my overnight shift today, I went out all day to hit my favorite spot of Burlington Limestone. Of course I found nice crinoids for preparation, but 2 teeth are definitely more exciting to find in the Mississippian limestone than a crinoid!

Found and cleaned: 7/30/20

Species: Deltodus sp. Fish tooth

Geologic age: Burlington Formation (Mississippian)

Locality: Henry County, Missouri

Maybe someone with literature or who is good with teeth, unlike I, could maybe determine the actual species? Doubtful, but I have a list of candidates. The species considered valid are-  D. fasciataus, D. grandis, D. occidentalis, D. ornatus, D. spatulatus, D. undulatus, and D. inornatus.

Nice finds!

Date of Discovery : 7/31/2020

Scientific name : Plesiosaur tooth with partial root

For fossil of the month, I want to enter my rooted Plesiosaur tooth, which measures just under two-inches long.

I was heading back after a pretty unproductive trip this morning and saw this in the stream. I instantly got excited thinking it was probably a Xiphactinus tooth but when i picked it up, I got REALLY excited! It's not only my first rooted Plesiosaur tooth but also the biggest Plesiosaur tooth I have found to date. Needless to say, I'm still pretty excited!

plesi1a.jpg  pl53.jpg

plesi1.jpg  plesi2.jpg

plesi4.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, frankh8147 said:

For fossil of the month, I want to enter my rooted Plesiosaur tooth, which measures just under two-inches long.

I was heading back after a pretty unproductive trip this morning and saw this in the stream. I instantly got excited thinking it was probably a Xiphactinus tooth but when i picked it up, I got REALLY excited! It's not only my first rooted Plesiosaur tooth but also the biggest Plesiosaur tooth I have found to date. Needless to say, I'm still pretty excited!

That is absolutely amazing!!!!  Incredible find!!

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, frankh8147 said:

:oWow! You had too, you had to do this to me!:heartylaugh:that’s seriously one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen found in NJ!!!:envy::envy::envy:

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:35 PM, Familyroadtrip said:

that’s an amazing specimen!!! I don’t know how rare mine is, but yours is incredible!

Thank you!

• digit locked and unfeatured this topic