Fossil coral,moss?, bryozoan

FossilizedJello

I picked this up at the flea market. He told me it was petrified moss...which I dont think it is. Im thinking coral but I wasn't able to find the answer after some research. Its from Arizona and was collected in 1968 and its jurassic in age. Pretty cool fossil.

coral.jpg

coral2.jpg

coral3.jpg

coral4.jpg

I suspect it's a rather beautiful sponge. The long rods and "flowers" look like spicules. I'm not convinced it's Jurassic - I've seen Palaeozoic ones resembling that - though sponges are massively diverse...

EDIT: I probably let my imagination run away here and travertine/tufa moss or other plant is probably right - see comment below by DPS Ammonite.

5efb013dd071f_Screenshot2020-06-30at10_08_39.png.a26a42a1495dda26b3a421e81f659ff9.png5efb013ed04b8_Screenshot2020-06-30at10_08_24.png.3c490ce26e6c0113f99e7a59ea554ef7.png

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

20 minutes ago, TqB said:

The long rods and "flowers" look like spicules.

An extremely large version ?

I thought they were microscopic.

14 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

An extremely large version ?

I thought they were microscopic.

Many are, but many are relatively huge and easy naked eye objects. For example, these Astraeospongia (Devonian) are in the range 2 - 5mm across.

And some hexactinellid root spicules are over a metre long.

IMG_2795.thumb.jpeg.6b06e32764f81278b0e306671dc47341.jpeg

Edited by TqB
  • I found this Informative 6

Tarquin

Never seen a sponge or fossil like that from Arizona. 

It might be travertine limestone covering plant material; the label says “moss”. Note everything is hollow; (covering plant material.) If it is travertine, I doubt that it very old; it looks very fragile. Anything very old would have been crushed or the spaces would have been filled in with sediment or another mineral. It is probably Tertiary or later. Maybe a paleobotanist could help. @paleoflor

Does it fizz in acid?

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 8

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It might be travertine limestone covering plant material; the label says “moss”. Note everything is hollow; (covering plant material.) If it is travertine, I doubt that it very old; it looks very fragile. Anything very old would have been crushed or the spaces would have been filled in with sediment or another mineral. It is probably Tertiary. Maybe a paleobotanist could help. @paleoflor

Does it fizz in acid?

I was imagining an etched out silicified specimen but I think you're probably right. :)

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

9 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It might be travertine limestone covering plant material; the label says “moss”. Note everything is hollow; (covering plant material.) If it is travertine, I doubt that it very old; it looks very fragile. Anything very old would have been crushed or the spaces would have been filled in with sediment or another mineral. It is probably Tertiary. Maybe a paleobotanist could help. @paleoflor

Does it fizz in acid?

Hi, thanks for your response. Im a little confused when you say covering plant material. So are you saying it is more recent but just got covered by limestone and is preserved...aka not a fossil? Its actually not that fragile at all. Its a pretty solid chunk. I mean im sure its not the strongest fossil out there but I dont worry when I pick it up or put it down. Here are some pics of the back to help.

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

Wow well im surprised you guys got this one. Soo can someone clarify what exactly it is :o haha

13 minutes ago, supertramp said:

That almost looks like the same rock and “fossilized” plant. 

Could you please translate what kind of plants it is covering, age and formation that it is from. 

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

17 minutes ago, FossilizedJello said:

Hi, thanks for your response. Im a little confused when you say covering plant material. So are you saying it is more recent but just got covered by limestone and is preserved...aka not a fossil? Its actually not that fragile at all. Its a pretty solid chunk. I mean im sure its not the strongest fossil out there but I dont worry when I pick it up or put it down. Here are some pics of the back to help.

back1.jpg

back2.jpg

Limestone from a spring or limestone rich stream covered plant material which has since rotted away. It is a fossil if it is more than 10,000 years old.  Regardless, it is a very nice piece.

1 minute ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Limestone from a spring or limestone rich stream covered plant material which has since rotted away. It is a fossil if it is more than 10,000 years old.  Regardless, it is a very nice piece.

Ah okay. Cool, thanks. So are we undetermined if it is older then 10k?

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

That almost looks like the same rock and “fossilized” plant. 

Could you please translate what kind of plants it is covering, age and formation that it is from. 

That's from the "ager tiburtinum" plain  (Agro tiburtino, being Tiberis the latin for Tiber River), east of Rome, near Tivoli, not far from the Emperor Hadrian’s Villa.
Holocenic in age and encrusting mainly Carex sp., Thypa sp. etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carex&hl=it&sxsrf=ALeKk024dTdTfiOnwnQNpFLEbm9SDHGKvw:1593528420510&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjLocb746nqAhVl-SoKHSi-BrAQ_AUoAnoECBQQBA&biw=1366&bih=625

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk030Umk3axhHjzrSNrZFeE3y0sqt1A:1593528082448&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=Typha&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwif2Kza4qnqAhVBoVwKHRC5DlkQsAR6BAgLEAE&biw=1366&bih=625

ciao

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Absolutely stunning piece regardless of age! 

I agree! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Well thank you much everybody..should I catalog the find on the website? Im happy to share with everyone.