Updated: Needing help with id type of arthropod creating trackway

pjullien

Found this today....The area never ceases to amaze me...always something new to find.   Thanks to those below in identifying this as an arthropod trackway fossil.  Would like to try to see if it can now be narrowed down to which type of arthropod if possible ?

IMG_3600.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

Really cool find!

I don't think this is a plant however, I am not really familiar with the lake skiatook fossils but this appears to be a beautiful arthropod trackway fossil.

• I found this Informative 3

I agree this is a beautiful arthropod trackway.

Very cool.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Oh my gosh how cool is that :)  Now I have to look up what a trackway is...footprints I assume?

Would like to try to see if it can now be narrowed down to which type of arthropod if possible ?

1 hour ago, westcoast said:

I think this is Protovigularia, a bivalve locomotion trace.

Can't say I saw it, but I definitely agree.

42 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I definitely agree.

Primary indication: depth of sediment penetration.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for all the info folks...Rockwood, great observation on the depth of sediment penetration.

The mystery deepens for me.  "Protovigularia is a plaited burrow consisting of obliquely arranged pads of sediment ..."

I was looking over a research paper*(linked below) especially at the images.    It had both arthropod trackways and bivalve locomotion traces. Couldn't find anything that really stood out to me clearly that was similar to mine.  If anyone has an image that seems similar to mine would love a link...Thanks!!!

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/27485416_Revision_and_description_of_Keuper_Middle_Ladinian_to_Rhaetian_invertebrate_trace_fossils_from_the_southern_part_of_the_Germanic_Basin_and_studies_of_related_material

Note the correct spelling: Protovirgularia

image.png.2b5af0be0909f7ed21c18bbb0c06fb53.png

Ekdale, A.A., Bromley, R.G. 2001. A Day and a Night in the Life of a Cleft-Foot Clam: Protovirgularia–Lockeia–Lophoctenium. Lethaia, 34(2):119-124

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png