Alabama Shark Tooth help

MikeR

All

In the process of looking through screened material from the Upper Paleocene Bells Landing Member of the Tuscahoma Formation, I came across this small 3 mm shark tooth.  This deposit located  within Monroe County, Alabama is equivalent in age to the Paspotansa Member of the Aquia Formation in Virginia.  I searched the Aquia section on Elasmo.com but could not find anything similar.  I don't know if this is a juvenile or an adult tooth but the most noticeable feature is the deep nutrient groove. 

I am hoping one of the many shark tooth experts here on the forum might be able to give some insight into what it is.  Left: Lingual Right: Labial.

Thanks

Mike

5efbae6873c2c_sharktoothtuscahoma.jpg.c38c182ff468af5fd80f35487691ad8c.jpg  5efbae68a83c3_sharktoothtuscahoma2.jpg.0ecffe67bd2a1c475c4dc05010210fa7.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like Abdounia. Is there any Eocene at this site?

2 hours ago, digit said:

@MarcoSr ??

I love micros and this is a great looking little treasure.

Cheers.

-Ken

Looks like Abdounia to me also.  I find Abdounia in the Paleocene Aquia Formation of MD/VA and in the Eocene Nanjemoy Formation of MD/VA.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Agree with Abdounia, I have a couple from where MarcoSr mentioned.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Looks like Abdounia. Is there any Eocene at this site?

No Eocene.  Type locality of Bells Landing Member which is all Paleocene.  Thanks for the Abdounia everyone.

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

I knew Marco has experience in the Paleocene Aquia and if he agrees with Al Dente then I think you have the best consensus that TFF has to offer. ;)

Nice to have folks that know their stuff (as you do for the mollusks). :)

Cheers.

-Ken 

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.  To my eye it looks like Abdounia enniskilleni which is common in the Middle Eocene Claiborne group in Alabama, however I can't find any Alabama Paleocene records of its occurrence.  

Mike

30 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.  To my eye it looks like Abdounia enniskilleni which is common in the Middle Eocene Claiborne group in Alabama, however I can't find any Alabama Paleocene records of its occurrence.  

Mike

It might be Abdounia africana. They are Paleocene. Here’s one from this website -http://users.telenet.be/sharkteethcollection/ray list totaal/Ray list totaal.htm

5E0117EE-FF20-48E8-B029-BE11717D677E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

15 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It might be Abdounia africana. They are Paleocene. Here’s one from this website -http://users.telenet.be/sharkteethcollection/ray list totaal/Ray list totaal.htm

Thanks Eric--it looks as if I have more work to do.