OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Moved to FOSSIL ID. 

It's not a tooth. This item does not exhibit any tooth morphology - does not look like a tooth.

I also agree that there is no enamel on this which is easily seen on fossilized teeth. 

There is also no bone texture visible on this item. 

The item does look to me like a pottery handle that has been glazed.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Coming it too late. I agree with all. I see nothing that says tooth. But even then, if it's an old pot handle it's still very cool. Now you're an archaeologist! definitely a keep. i found an old Civil War bullet that must have hit a tree and i'm just as excited as if it were a fossil. It's a real piece of history.

As with @Mammathus, the answer has already been provided. But just thought I'd chip in with my 2ct, since I've actually studied archaeology. As such, I've seen lots of pottery shards over my training, and can positively confirm this is a pottery handle. By the worn look of it's surface, I'd say this would originally have been glazed - i.e. not native or early European pottery, but rather 17th-18th century about. Though if you'd really like to know the date, you'd have to contact someone with more experience in local history. European wares were never my specialty, though I do know that the type of glaze applied (thus also the colour that still remains) can be indicative both of where the pottery was originally made as well as the time at which it was produced.

So, unfortunately not a fossil or a tooth, but certainly an interesting find no less!

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

4 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

As with @Mammathus, the answer has already been provided. But just thought I'd chip in with my 2ct, since I've actually studied archaeology. As such, I've seen lots of pottery shards over my training, and can positively confirm this is a pottery handle. By the worn look of it's surface, I'd say this would originally have been glazed - i.e. not native or early European pottery, but rather 17th-18th century about. Though if you'd really like to know the date, you'd have to contact someone with more experience in local history. European wares were never my specialty, though I do know that the type of glaze applied (thus also the colour that still remains) can be indicative both of where the pottery was originally made as well as the time at which it was produced.

So, unfortunately not a fossil or a tooth, but certainly an interesting find no less!

Thank you so much.

4 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

9 hours ago, Mammathus said:

Coming it too late. I agree with all. I see nothing that says tooth. But even then, if it's an old pot handle it's still very cool. Now you're an archaeologist! definitely a keep. i found an old Civil War bullet that must have hit a tree and i'm just as excited as if it were a fossil. It's a real piece of history.

Thank you so much.