Dimetrodon? Claw?

PrehistoricWonders

Hi,
I’m considering buying this “dimetrodon claw” and was wondering if it is really a dimetrodon claw. It was found in waurika, Oklahoma, Ryan formation and is from the Permian. I’m not sure how big it is but it looks pretty small. TIA

9 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

No picture showing.:unsure:

Sorry:DOH: here are the pics.

30B389A2-254F-4A8C-9745-D3E7B9567F9D.jpeg

BFBA63E6-BFD2-4346-8238-44B8E19C6C89.jpeg

B0E5D373-F992-421B-89D3-CC8F2BEB02FD.jpeg

B42C21C9-4B4E-43E9-A385-E8826F90F877.jpeg

C720ED02-8066-4D6A-A212-EE13D44CEA41.jpeg

C1E0DD5E-306B-4D0E-A2CD-AF6C817B8412.jpeg

@Bobby Rico I read that topic and I’m not sure whether it is a dimetrodon claw or not now. 

3 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

@Bobby Rico I read that topic and I’m not sure whether it is a dimetrodon claw or not now. 

It can be very tricky I think with a partial Juvenile  claw , but hold on there is some very knowledgeable members here that will help you out, 

A couple of observations.

Dimetrodon claw "E" in the illustration from the above post looks V shaped in the cross-section view.  The one your asking about does not if you look at the 4th photo. 

Also the claw in the illustration has a big curvature from the tip to the tubercle, yours does not.    Not sure if its positional or due to ontogeny 

Screenshot_20200630-180533.thumb.jpg.d1a4f2af889e0a2baf77196a2cc55757.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

I think I’m gonna stay away from this one because I’m not sure if it’s a dimetrodon claw or not and there are plenty of other fossils. Thank you all for the replies!!!

Beautiful little Dimetrodon claw that has been bitten off at the joint. I find Dimetrodon claws quite frequently with the bites like this. 

5 minutes ago, dinodigger said:

Beautiful little Dimetrodon claw that has been bitten off at the joint. I find Dimetrodon claws quite frequently with the bites like this. 

Do you know what would cause Dimetrodon claws to be bitten off like that? It sounds painful! :fear:

53 minutes ago, dinodigger said:

You think it’s a dimetrodon claw? I’d love one, but it didn’t look like the ones in the picture. 

47 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Do you know what would cause Dimetrodon claws to be bitten off like that? It sounds painful! :fear:

I agree it does sound painful! 

Scavengers love to bite off the digits obviously - I'd say more than 75 percent of the claws we work with at our sites are bitten. Lots of good muscles and tendons running up the digits. Easy quick meal for little guys like Varanosaurs and Trimerorhachids. A bloated dimetrodon carcass is a fast meal for a ton of different amphibs and reptiles living in the swamps and ponds and stream channels.

Perhaps they just chewed their toenails when nervous. 

I know I do. :D

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

A couple of observations.

Dimetrodon claw "E" in the illustration from the above post looks V shaped in the cross-section view.  The one your asking about does not if you look at the 4th photo. 

Also the claw in the illustration has a big curvature from the tip to the tubercle, yours does not.    Not sure if its positional or due to ontogeny 

Screenshot_20200630-180533.thumb.jpg.d1a4f2af889e0a2baf77196a2cc55757.jpg

This is pretty cool - we have quite a few varieties of Dimetrodon claw that display the flat dorsal morphology and also the curved. It is both a species thing and ontogenetic thing. 

• I found this Informative 2

8 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

You think it’s a dimetrodon claw? I’d love one, but it didn’t look like the ones in the picture. 

I agree it does sound painful! 

Without a Doubt, Dimetrodon. Will try to get some photos of specimens up soon. 

1 minute ago, dinodigger said:

Without a Doubt, Dimetrodon. Will try to get some photos of specimens up soon. 

Ok, thank you!!! 

The damage to the base of he claw is likely due to incomplete ossification of the bone, rather than damage from feeding or scavenging. The base of the claw would have been mostly cartilaginous in juveniles; we see this in completely articulated hands of young animals.

• I found this Informative 2

I'll try to take some pics of our claws- wonderful tooth marks show scavenging 

Also have some really monstrous claws from the grandis species that have been bitten in half- a few have some awesome healed breaks as well. We do see Xenacanthid tooth marks. Ddon bites are much easier to identify than amphibs, sharks pretty easy.