Looking for recommendations on 1 air tool to buy for softish shales and limestone

mattbsharks

I am looking to spend around $250-350 total on an air compressor and one air tool well equipped  to prep both green river formation limestone and softish shales like penn Dixie/dsr. I understand that no one tool would be perfect for that, but I want to find one that can do both jobs solidly.

which Green River layer?  I use hand tools (and sometimes small air scribes) on split fish and air abrasive on 18 inch.  

I can tell you right now that the common GR limestone is WAAAAAY too soft for air scribes.  A stiff toothbrush will obliterate a fish.   If you have something harder like the bottom cap layer fish, then a light scribe can work, but you're going to spend you entire budget on just the scribe.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

For Penn Dixie material, a Paasche using baking soda can achieve good results. That should run you about $100. The compressor should be 20 gallon tank; anything less will likely be running constantly to catch up.

As others have said above, not suited for typical, soft GR material; that’s hand tools, patience, and “scratch and blow,”

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I recommend this good starting scribe made by one of our own members. Made for what you have in mind. 

https://www.fossilshack.com/store/p2590/scribe.html 

PaleoAro make very nice tools, but I don't recommend these to start with as they are expensive and you may not enjoy scribe work in the long run.

I also agree with @Kane that trying a cheaper Paasche abbrasive system isn't a bad idea either for the soft rock you talk about working on. Forsure a 20 gallon compressor or bigger would also be needed. They usually aren't very cheap either(I think cheaper ones run 150-200$). I run a 20 gallon campbell hausfeld compressor, and it even kicks on more than I like it to but works amazing.

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:38 PM, Jackson g said:

I recommend this good starting scribe made by one of our own members. Made for what you have in mind. 

https://www.fossilshack.com/store/p2590/scribe.html 

PaleoAro make very nice tools, but I don't recommend these to start with as they are expensive and you may not enjoy scribe work in the long run.

I also agree with @Kane that trying a cheaper Paasche abbrasive system isn't a bad idea either for the soft rock you talk about working on. Forsure a 20 gallon compressor or bigger would also be needed. They usually aren't very cheap either(I think cheaper ones run 150-200$). I run a 20 gallon campbell hausfeld compressor, and it even kicks on more than I like it to but works amazing.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:52 AM, Kane said:

For Penn Dixie material, a Paasche using baking soda can achieve good results. That should run you about $100. The compressor should be 20 gallon tank; anything less will likely be running constantly to catch up.

As others have said above, not suited for typical, soft GR material; that’s hand tools, patience, and “scratch and blow,”

Thank you guys so much! That helps a lot

Best of luck! Prep is a process of patience. Say goodbye to a lot of hours, and welcome to the club. :D 

• I found this Informative 2

On 7/5/2020 at 9:58 PM, Kane said:

Best of luck! Prep is a process of patience. Say goodbye to a lot of hours, and welcome to the club. :D 

Haha, thanks :) I’m going to dsr and penn Dixie in about a week to load up on specimens for prep

Also would it make sense to invest in a less expensive air compressor that is less than 20 gallons but is also very quiet so that it kicking on would not be much of a noise issue?

6 hours ago, mattbsharks said:

Also would it make sense to invest in a less expensive air compressor that is less than 20 gallons but is also very quiet so that it kicking on would not be much of a noise issue?

Hm... That's a bit like asking a barber, "A bit thicker on top and longer in the back, please." :D 

Compressors are loud. The more quiet ones cost a fortune, and still may be rated at 40 decibels lowest. If you are looking for a way of minimizing the noise, you can set it up in another room (or a garage), or you go with the higher capacity so it kicks in less. Anything less than 20 gallons is going to constantly be running, trying to keep up with the air demand of your tools. So, the higher the capacity, the less noise (apart from when it is initially filling up). 

Keep in mind that the cause of the noise is the motor, and they are all going to be loud. I had a small, cheap 5 gallon compressor starting out and it just kept kicking in, and it was loud (average of about 80+ decibels). Since the motor is always running on those smaller units, it was a miracle mine lasted a few years, since the more the motor has to work, the higher the likelihood you'll need to replace it more often. It is like buying a cheap pair of shoes for 20 bucks that will last you a year or a quality pair at 80 bucks that will last you 5+ years. Suffice it to say, things were on an order of magnitude improved once I swapped out the 5 for a 20 gallon tank.

As for that Paasche, it is ok, but you might find it awkward to hold in your hand. Have a look at their AECR (remote canister). Of course, you wouldn't use the blast media it comes with! 

• I found this Informative 3

On 7/12/2020 at 7:35 AM, Kane said:

Hm... That's a bit like asking a barber, "A bit thicker on top and longer in the back, please." :D 

Compressors are loud. The more quiet ones cost a fortune, and still may be rated at 40 decibels lowest. If you are looking for a way of minimizing the noise, you can set it up in another room (or a garage), or you go with the higher capacity so it kicks in less. Anything less than 20 gallons is going to constantly be running, trying to keep up with the air demand of your tools. So, the higher the capacity, the less noise (apart from when it is initially filling up). 

Keep in mind that the cause of the noise is the motor, and they are all going to be loud. I had a small, cheap 5 gallon compressor starting out and it just kept kicking in, and it was loud (average of about 80+ decibels). Since the motor is always running on those smaller units, it was a miracle mine lasted a few years, since the more the motor has to work, the higher the likelihood you'll need to replace it more often. It is like buying a cheap pair of shoes for 20 bucks that will last you a year or a quality pair at 80 bucks that will last you 5+ years. Suffice it to say, things were on an order of magnitude improved once I swapped out the 5 for a 20 gallon tank.

As for that Paasche, it is ok, but you might find it awkward to hold in your hand. Have a look at their AECR (remote canister). Of course, you wouldn't use the blast media it comes with! 

Thanks so much. I have some decisions to make haha

On 7/12/2020 at 12:56 AM, mattbsharks said:

@Kane is this what you are suggesting for an air abrasive?

D97D7D08-08BD-4EC0-837C-C2344F7A37E5.png

I called Passache about this one and was advised that I will be stopping to refill the canister frequently compared to there  AECR (remote canister). And yes to a large compressor. I believe it comes with powdered Dolomite and I was planning to use bicarbanent of soda "baking soda."

• I found this Informative 1