Ammonite Anatomy and Terms

AK hiker

In my goal to identify ammonites I have been seeing in Alaska have had to learn much such as ammonite anatomy and terms. My scientific illustrator, graphic artist wife helped me with these depictions of a generic ammonite. I have been reading about the various ways ammonites are described in the scientific papers and needed to be able to learn them for the descriptions to make sense. I would like input from those more knowledgeable than myself to see if I have this cheat sheet accurate. See attached PDF.

Thanks for any input.

Ammonite Anatomy & Terms.pdf

• I found this Informative 6

Very nice! I am no expert so cannot give any feedback as to the accuracy of the terminology, but the English major in me would like to see a comma or hyphen in this particular sentence: 

"made of aragonite and conchiolin a crystalline form of calcium carbonate."

"made of aragonite and conchiolin, a crystalline form of calcium carbonate."

• I found this Informative 2

JamieLyn,

Thank you for looking and helping with my punctuation. Will make the addition of a comma as indicated. My hope is this will help other newbies along the way as this compilation came from many sources.
Bob

One thing to note is that the diagram on that page shows the septa or walls as concave and pointing towards the center of the shell but in ammonites it is actually convex and would point away from the center. I hope that made some sort of sense as it is hard to explain.

• I found this Informative 1

Hello,nice,very interesting I know this in french,thank you

J collecting only fossils since 30 years old,ammonites,heteromorphe ammonite,crabs,fish trilobit, sea urshins, mammals, etc...J am married . Sorry for my enghish

On 6/30/2020 at 10:22 PM, Misha said:

One thing to note is that the diagram on that page shows the septa or walls as concave and pointing towards the center of the shell but in ammonites it is actually convex and would point away from the center. I hope that made some sort of sense as it is hard to explain.

Understood and looked at an ammonite I had that was sliced through the venter to visualize. My wife said it took a while to get the septa to look right in the graphics program.:i_am_so_happy:

On 7/1/2020 at 12:21 AM, Ludwigia said:

@AK hiker Here is a page from a website which I always find helpful when it comes to terminology. Your wife does good work.

Very helpful website for ammonite descriptive terms and added a few more to the diagram. I am a lucky man to have her in my life!

On 7/1/2020 at 12:38 AM, herve said:

Hello,nice,very interesting I know this in french,thank you

Hello to you and hope this is useful to all. 

Also received a PM from DPS Ammonite and included those suggestions as well.

Let me know if an further corrections.

Thanks;

Bob

revised Ammonite sheet.msg

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice and helpfull, thanks for sharing!

Your next project will involve the outer morphology of ammos with all their ribs, knots and keels? ;)

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...