Need help identifying a small fossil

DawnOfADream

Hello everyone! This is a small fossil I found months ago in the Beaumaris Formation, Victoria, Australia. I've looked through the Fossils of Beaumaris PDF but cannot find anything similar. The measurements are as follows:

- 2.5 cm L

- 2.4 cm W

- 1.2 cm D

I have attached some images below which will hopefully be of help!

1-min.jpg

2-min.jpg

3-min.jpg

4-min.jpg

5-min.jpg

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Sorry, but I don't see reason to think it's a fossil.

It passed the lick test and was found close to another small bone shard. But you may be right, I'm just holding on to hope here!

7 minutes ago, DawnOfADream said:

It passed the lick test and was found close to another small bone shard. But you may be right, I'm just holding on to hope here!

Hope is fine. I don't know the formation or it's fossils. You should be aware that these are not the best handles to lift by though. :)

Though I agree with @Rockwood in that I don't see too much of a bone-texture here, the same in itself is rather reminiscent of an ichthyosaur propodial - though those wouldn't have the two concavities on one end that your specimen has. Now obviously this is the wrong formation to be finding marine reptile remains - and I'm unfortunately much less aware of marine mammals - but I do know that many marine reptiles (like seals and dolphins) have propodials that look very similar to those of marine mammals (dolphins in particular are a close match to ichthyosaurs, IMO). As such, I wouldn't discard this piece just yet. Is there a museum or other collection on the formation your could visit to get more information?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

many marine reptiles (like seals and dolphins) have propodials

Seals and dolphins are mammals. I'm sure this is a typo/oops. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 7/1/2020 at 8:54 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Seals and dolphins are mammals. I'm sure this is a typo/oops. 

Yup... Was going on about marine reptiles so much that I must have not realised I was typing a different word from what I meant! Thanks for pointing this out and kind of confused that I can't update my post (sorry, new to the forum)?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

2 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

kind of confused that I can't update my post (sorry, new to the forum)?

I think there is a time limit. An administrator can help out. 

11 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Thanks for pointing this out and kind of confused that I can't update my post (sorry, new to the forum)?

Pemissions, such as editing a post and others, are not allowed until you've been around a while. A few more posts will get you there, and then there is also a time limit after which you can no longer change it.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

Members are only allowed to edit a post for 24 hours.

After that, you need to ask an Admin or Mod for some assistance. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 7/6/2020 at 10:30 PM, Fossildude19 said:

@pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

Members are only allowed to edit a post for 24 hours.

After that, you need to ask an Admin or Mod for some assistance. ;) 

Thanks for the info, @Fossildude19 (as well as all the others that have pointed me in this direction)! Not sure my current typo warrants the effort of an admin changing it, but good to know ;)