A Hoploscaphites from Ron

Ludwigia

RJB offered an unprepped Hoploscaphites from the Pierre Shale of Montana a while ago which he was gracious enough to send to me, although he normally doesn't ship overseas. Thanks again, Ron! It arrived a couple of days ago and I could hardly wait to get down to it since I've had these on my bucket list for ages. You can see the stage he had it at in the link. Here's how it looked in my cabinet after a few hours with the stylus.

2a.thumb.jpg.ccc2f918c7bad083ec1a697bcd802bbb.jpg

2b.thumb.jpg.4233ec12c0b2bf454f184cca5f35d047.jpg

It turned out that the smaller one at the front was just a partial, and since there was nothing much else except broken shell material to be found in the concretion, I decided to remove the ammonite completely from the matrix. This is the stage it has reached after roughly 10 hours of work.

3a.thumb.jpg.2004fbc6b1439c47c2ca39fc5fdc1b13.jpg

3b.thumb.jpg.1d830d3cd99b3c610ff02639e0c80b59.jpg

3c.thumb.jpg.8b09ae4e570bd880d0850c873582f405.jpg

3d.thumb.jpg.ed24b9b5ce3ded965d842890ac0f7780.jpg

My abrader has unfortunately broken down and I've had to send it off for repair, so this beauty shall have to wait for a while before I can finish it off.

• I found this Informative 14

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Even incomplete, it still looks like marvellous work. Good luck on getting the abrader repaired!

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Even incomplete, it still looks like marvellous work. Good luck on getting the abrader repaired!

Thanks Kane. Unfortunately for me, I just heard from my repairman that he's in rehab right now with a new knee, so it may take a bit longer than usual. :coffee:

I tend to like my fossils with some matrix left on them, but your prepped ammonites are always one of the exceptions to that rule. Great work and lovely specimen! 

Hopefully your repairman makes a speedy recovery so that your abrader can do the same! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Very nice Roger...both on the prep and acquisition...Ive been watching for this one. :)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

7 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I tend to like my fossils with some matrix left on them, but your prepped ammonites are always one of the exceptions to that rule. Great work and lovely specimen! 

Hopefully your repairman makes a speedy recovery so that your abrader can do the same! 

Yes, at first I was thinking to at least keep a pedestal and at the same time I was trying to retain as much of the shell as possible. These ammonites have a very thickly layered "opalized" shell. But it was to no avail. Every time I got close, part of the shell split off, since the separating layer was about halfway in. Then a number of cracks appeared along the separating layer, so I decided to go for it. I suppose I could have tried to work with superglue, but I know from experience that this often doesn't always help and you end up with sporadic bits of shell between the spots where it's gone, which looks a bit funny in the end. And that method usually at least quadruples the prep time.

8 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

Very nice Roger...both on the prep and acquisition...Ive been watching for this one. :)

I'm happy! Can't wait to set the abrader to it, but I'm needing to practice patience.

On 5.7.2020 at 2:30 PM, RJB said:

I am happy for you Roger.  That was money well spent! 

RB

Thanks Ron. Of course I'm happy too, also since the abrader should be coming back tomorrow :D

I have to say Roger, I was wondering how your air abrasion skills were going to make this look?   Looks wonderful!   Im gunna hafta try that someday. 

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I have to say Roger, I was wondering how your air abrasion skills were going to make this look?   Looks wonderful!   Im gunna hafta try that someday. 

RB

Thanks Ron. I used iron powder, kept it down to 30psi and went slowly.

• I found this Informative 2

Beautiful! Will take a lesson from you on this and get my micro etcher from the office and run some iron powder through it to clean what I have prepped so far. 

34 minutes ago, AK hiker said:

Beautiful! Will take a lesson from you on this and get my micro etcher from the office and run some iron powder through it to clean what I have prepped so far. 

Ok. You may need to up the pressure somewhat for your stuff. Be sure to post them when you're done.