Possible Bone Fragment

Raenandfog

Hey there, 

Thanks for any help you can offer! This was found on the southern banks of Island View Beach on the east side of Southern Vancouver Island. It's shape, apparent slight porosity, and coloration peaked my curiosity but I'm not certain that it's anything of interest. Thanks for your input!IMG_20200626_172556.thumb.jpg.c77d312f7dcbfb57cc3aa093ec2e5023.jpg

Thanks! What indications would there be to differentiate between, say, an old animal bone that came to rest on the slope vs a fossilised bone?

Tap it lightly with a spoon. A high pitch sound like fine china might make will indicate a fully mineralized bone. Modern bone will be a lower pitched sound.

I would try this on my teeth. Gently, though. :)

• I found this Informative 1

12 minutes ago, Raenandfog said:

Thanks! What indications would there be to differentiate between, say, an old animal bone that came to rest on the slope vs a fossilised bone?

Proportion of weight to size. Something that has mineralized has turned to stone, which is generally denser and heavier than bone, although some bones that are considered "fossil" may not have yet been completely mineralized, like mammoth and mastodon. Modern bones will give off a distinct odor when a flame is applied as the collagen in them burns. Partially mineralized fossil bones may give off a milder odor, and fully mineralized will give off no odor at all (rocks don't burn), but there are very old bones preserved in caves where mineralization is not likely to occur, so there are exceptions depending on level and state of preservation. 

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It seems like I remember a cartoon character stressing to his crew "loot and pillage, then burn !"

It's sort of how I approach the issue. :)