A tiny contribution to Paleontology

The authors have just informed me, that a tiny Phyllocarid I sent them for study, was included in a recent publication of the Journal of Paleontology. (Collette and Plotnick, 2020 JP Gonatocaris) 

Part of growing from hobbyist to citizen paleontologist is helping our knowledge of fossils grow. It is always fun finding a fossil and then finding exactly what you found. The picture I included is

one I took soon after finding it at Ridgemount Quarry. It is Late Silurian in age and found in the very same layers that Eurypterids are found.

Very small Phyllocarid.jpg

• I found this Informative 22

Great job getting your finds included in research :) I'd say that's a very nice contribution to paleontology.

Beautiful phyllocarid, by the way!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Congratulations on the phyllocarid find and having it included in a scientific paper - that's awesome!!! :thumbsu:

Awesome find and kudos for your contribution to the collective human knowledge!

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Marvelous! 

Congratulations and thank you.:)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Congratulations, well done! :dinothumb: :dinothumb:  I recall that this is not your first discovery that has resulted in a publication.  Thanks for representing our community so well.

Don

Wow! Congratulations! Well done!

:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Cool!  Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:

Great find and donation John. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congratulations John. That your fine specimen made it to the Journal of Paleontology is quite an honor. Reminds me that you've made a quite a few wonderful contributions to the field. Not surprising for someone who works so hard to make the rare finds.