hokietech96

Hi.  I have no idea where to even begin with this one.  Just found this in the Lee Creek matrix that I have been working through the past month.  This one is 1MM.  My uneducated guess is..... nevermind I have absolutely no clue!  Anyone's guess would be better than mine.  Thanks for any feedback.

Mark

5eff638c74689_FriJul0312-52-39.jpg.bb6b80b9f1730acec767869ba69c95a9.jpg5eff638cbc941_FriJul0312-53-09.jpg.8e6ca1c7b2f45c12e528d6fabcbf278c.jpg

3 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

given the size range and morphology,it COULD be a foram

Thanks for the feedback.  I had to google what a foram is.  Very interesting and is pretty cool looking.  

my bad:foraminiferan,would be a slightly more correct term.

I've included a faunal list from 2001

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, doushantuo said:

my bad:foraminiferan,would be a slightly more correct term.

I've included a faunal list from 2001

Thanks.  I assuming this is a rather common find?

i've found a somewhat in-depth article dealing with the cenozoic forams of the Atlantic USA coast .

the LO-res version is 27 Mb,as you can see on that page.

It starts on p.363 of the book

edit: having said that,the Lo-res version certainly lives up to its name,the scans looked washed-out,and morphological details are not as clear as they should be

I'm downloading the Hi-res version now,but the download takes over two minutes now

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Hi.  I have no idea where to even begin with this one.  Just found this in the Lee Creek matrix that I have been working through the past month.  This one is 1MM.  My uneducated guess is..... nevermind I have absolutely no clue!  Anyone's guess would be better than mine.  Thanks for any feedback.

Mark

5eff638c74689_FriJul0312-52-39.jpg.bb6b80b9f1730acec767869ba69c95a9.jpg5eff638cbc941_FriJul0312-53-09.jpg.8e6ca1c7b2f45c12e528d6fabcbf278c.jpg

I’m pretty sure it’s a modern seed. I’ve found similar ones in matrix I pick through.

• I found this Informative 6

Just now, Al Dente said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a modern seed. I’ve found similar ones in matrix I pick through.

@hokietech96Plant it and see what happens.:heartylaugh:

That makes way more sense.The ornament and the pustules around the edge i found tough to reconcile with foram

Good call,Al!!

You can find a lot of odd modern material while looking for small fossils. I just found this roach egg case a few minutes ago. Thought it was a ray tooth plate until I picked it up and wiped it off.

615E1542-45F1-43F2-B0E9-263256BCD54D.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Haha. That is to funny. When I first found it I thought I had a rare fossil that I can win some award of the month on a certain website.... Back to searching!