Alabama Paleocene Fish Tooth

MikeR

Once again I need help with an identification, this time a fish tooth, from the Upper Paleocene Bells Landing Member of the Tuscahoma Formation in Monroe County, Alabama.  I apologize for the graininess of the photo, but I had to capture it with my iphone as my digital microscope provided no details or contrast of the tooth.  I am hoping that one of the Aquia collectors might recognize it to perhaps genus.  The most obvious feature is a central keel on one face of the tooth.  Length of tooth is 6 mm.

Mike

t1.jpg.dee41c30c97181777a2a6dab6cb4b4f6.jpg IMG_1902.jpg.96ea05276570f4391ba3e38525afa405.jpg

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Do the cutting edges extend all the way to the base or only partway down?

25 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

Do the cutting edges extend all the way to the base or only partway down?

All the way to the base.

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

There are not many references that describe Paleocene fish teeth with any detail. There are a couple references for Eocene fish teeth. One is the Fisher/Sullivan publication and another is the recent publication on taxonomy and biostratigraphy of the sharks and bony fish from the middle Eocene in Alabama by Ebersole and others. Two teeth look similar to yours. Scomberomorus looks similar but has the cutting edge not reaching the base. The other is Palaeocybium prousti, which does have the cutting edges reaching the base. 

• I found this Informative 1

40 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

There are not many references that describe Paleocene fish teeth with any detail. There are a couple references for Eocene fish teeth. One is the Fisher/Sullivan publication and another is the recent publication on taxonomy and biostratigraphy of the sharks and bony fish from the middle Eocene in Alabama by Ebersole and others. Two teeth look similar to yours. Scomberomorus looks similar but has the cutting edge not reaching the base. The other is Palaeocybium prousti, which does have the cutting edges reaching the base. 

Thanks Eric!