New hunting location at Etobicoke Creek (Georgian Bay Formation)!

Monica

On 9/17/2020 at 5:51 AM, Monica said:

Hey Roger @Ludwigia

Here are a couple of photos of the almost-to-the-tip nautiloid glued together:

DSC02806.thumb.JPG.e131b05f4e5276982207037904fb4e8a.JPGDSC02807.thumb.JPG.153d1bb151fcc699ed34a7de7f8b41a3.JPG

Do you think it's Treptoceras crebriseptum?  I'm assuming it is since that's what I usually find, but the lack of visible septa is throwing me off.

I went back to my site on Saturday.  I didn't find anything terribly exciting, but I did find some fairly complete bryozoans - here are some photos of one of them:

DSC02808.JPG.d03e4c862a35183e6773bede32ea3030.JPGDSC02809.JPG.cec8855c9c00301ac06ea03381cd878c.JPGDSC02810.JPG.98cd19e578ae5ad1ac87588563895f2a.JPGDSC02811.JPG.ede95882f2e51c9af1e91581bd4a8c94.JPG

I plan on gluing these pieces together when I find the time to do so.

A Paleo guy told me that the ridges on our common orthocones are the signs one has the internal mold. I get the impression that the actual creature was mostly smooth on the outside. I was a little surprised by this, but had once suspected it might be the case.

• I found this Informative 1

On 9/17/2020 at 7:18 PM, markjw said:

A Paleo guy told me that the ridges on our common orthocones are the signs one has the internal mold. I get the impression that the actual creature was mostly smooth on the outside. I was a little surprised by this, but had once suspected it might be the case.

I never even thought of that, Mark!  You learn something new every day. :)

Thanks for chiming in!

On 9/17/2020 at 4:51 AM, Monica said:

but the lack of visible septa is throwing me off.

Another possibility, since septa are not visible, is that this is a siphuncle, though the thicker end leaves me doubtful. Could you see a siphuncle in the ends of the broken pieces?? Locally, I discover large siphuncles frequently. 

Is that bryozoan a Prasapora?? Looks great in association with the crinoid.   

Mike

On 9/22/2020 at 8:15 AM, minnbuckeye said:

Another possibility, since septa are not visible, is that this is a siphuncle, though the thicker end leaves me doubtful. Could you see a siphuncle in the ends of the broken pieces?? Locally, I discover large siphuncles frequently. 

Is that bryozoan a Prasapora?? Looks great in association with the crinoid.   

Mike

Hi Mike!  Thanks for giving your thoughts on the matter!

I don't think this specimen is a siphuncle because I see evidence of the siphuncle at the tip of the specimen - here are some photos:

DSC02861.thumb.JPG.9b7d653932dfca71d2c8360d6b2c154a.JPGDSC02863.thumb.JPG.5a7e10c065977f349aee8d6036815096.JPG

And here's a photo of the other end:

DSC02865.thumb.JPG.5331e650848a428b52fd34502018e194.JPG

As for the bryozoan - Adam @Tidgy's Dad thinks it's Mesotrypa, and I think I agree with him since the description of this genus that's given in my book by Bill Hessin seems to be a nice match.

I hope that all is well with you!!!

Monica

13 hours ago, Monica said:

I see evidence of the siphuncle at the tip of the specimen

@Monica That blows my theory!!!

13 hours ago, Monica said:

Mesotrypa, and I think I agree with him since the description of this genus that's given in my book by Bill Hessin seems to be a nice match

How do you differentiate grossly between Prasapora and Mesotrypa??? Maybe I have been improperly labeling some of my specimens. @Tidgy's Dad. My search for an answer was over my head!!

5 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@Monica That blows my theory!!!

How do you differentiate grossly between Prasapora and Mesotrypa??? Maybe I have been improperly labeling some of my specimens. @Tidgy's Dad. My search for an answer was over my head!!

I think it's probably very tricky without cut and polished sections through the specimens. They are closely related genera. Possibly, Prasopora has slightly larger zooecia, with bigger numbers of smaller mesozooecia in between. But I don't think Prasopora occurs in the Georgian Bay Formation so I opted for Mesotrypa. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

This past weekend I and my husband finally glued together and stabilized the Endoceras proteiforme that I found back in September - here are a couple of photos of it:

DSC02993.thumb.JPG.88a6c2421e8a05f5ed6d557e16c4d933.JPGDSC02996.thumb.JPG.1c4b1bc4d284dd6308ce48cc41042465.JPG

As you can see, pieces are missing, and that's because I pulled it out of very flakey shale and fragments fell off of it upon extraction.  This, along with the fact that it had many cracks running through it, is why I stabilized it with with a mixture of acetone and paraloid - I didn't want it to disintegrate over time!  Overall I'm quite happy with the end result, especially because now I can say that I have a self-found, local Endoceras as part of my fossil collection :CoolDance:

• I found this Informative 8

On 9/17/2020 at 1:51 AM, Monica said:

DSC02810.JPG.98cd19e578ae5ad1ac87588563895f2a.JPGDSC02811.JPG.ede95882f2e51c9af1e91581bd4a8c94.JPG

I plan on gluing these pieces together when I find the time to do so.

Great finds!

For myself, I would leave the bottom one as is. Great display to show the internal structure of the fossil. 

Update on this mysterious nautiloid:

5fb7084dd1365_endoconeview1.thumb.JPG.b79bf2ff1177ab070c5b3bd5f8ac6847.JPG5fb7085578ecc_endoconeview2.thumb.JPG.c2844305092dc406ae380af4bb99400a.JPG

I emailed pictures of this fossil (along with pictures of the glued-and-stabilized Endoceras proteiforme fossil) to Dave Rudkin, who is the retired curator of invertebrate paleontology at the ROM, and this is what he said:

"Thanks for this nice set of cephalopod pics from your  Etobicoke Creek hotspot. I can set your mind at ease on two counts herein. Firstly, your instincts on the putative "odd" Treptoceras are quite correct ... it isn't that at all. Secondly, you now have two examples of Endoceras sp., cf. E. proteiforme! Those first two photos are also of Endoceras, but they show an entirely different aspect of the beast. The long, narrowly tapered object is what is known as an endocone "speiss" - the nested conical endosiphuncular deposits that lie inside the large, heavily mineralized siphuncle of Endoceras. Your photos of the second specimen show the outside of the siphuncle preserved within the phragmocone (chambered region), marked by annular ridges where the septa were in contact." 

So, the mystery fossil is an endocone belonging to Endoceras proteiforme, which is (obviously, since I didn't know what it was!) a new fossil for me!  Hooray! :yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 7

1 hour ago, Monica said:

5fb7084dd1365_endoconeview1.thumb.JPG.b79bf2ff1177ab070c5b3bd5f8ac6847.JPG5fb7085578ecc_endoconeview2.thumb.JPG.c2844305092dc406ae380af4bb99400a.JPG

I emailed pictures of this fossil (along with pictures of the glued-and-stabilized Endoceras proteiforme fossil) to Dave Rudkin, who is the retired curator of invertebrate paleontology at the ROM, and this is what he said:

"Thanks for this nice set of cephalopod pics from your  Etobicoke Creek hotspot. I can set your mind at ease on two counts herein. Firstly, your instincts on the putative "odd" Treptoceras are quite correct ... it isn't that at all. Secondly, you now have two examples of Endoceras sp., cf. E. proteiforme! Those first two photos are also of Endoceras, but they show an entirely different aspect of the beast. The long, narrowly tapered object is what is known as an endocone "speiss" - the nested conical endosiphuncular deposits that lie inside the large, heavily mineralized siphuncle of Endoceras. Your photos of the second specimen show the outside of the siphuncle preserved within the phragmocone (chambered region), marked by annular ridges where the septa were in contact." 

So, the mystery fossil is an endocone belonging to Endoceras proteiforme, which is (obviously, since I didn't know what it was!) a new fossil for me!  Hooray! :yay-smiley-1:

Well, that is just "blow-me-away" interesting. What a twist in the tale.

3 minutes ago, markjw said:

Well, that is just "blow-me-away" interesting. What a twist in the tale.

I was certainly very happy to find the "real" answer to this little puzzle.  It was troubling me because when I placed this "mystery" fossil in my fossil display next to my T. crebriseptum specimens, it just didn't look "right".  Now that I know its true identity, I'll place it on display next to my E. proteiforme, where it will look much nicer :D

42 minutes ago, Monica said:

I was so excited to read this result I sprayed soda all over my keyboard! Great work. Great Specimens!

9 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

I was so excited to read this result I sprayed soda all over my keyboard! Great work. Great Specimens!

Thank you! :)