Shark Ray or Skate egg sack , help ID please

Kamoa

Hi everyone

Surface find in SW Arizona that I would like to ID if possible. I believe this is Stromatolite and it appeared to have a shark, Ray or Skate egg sack on it so I brushed some synthetic oil on it and put it under the microscope. looks like something inside there to me. My first thought is Xenacanthus although whatever that is in there doesn't really match up that well. Complete newbie here asking is this Stromatolite ? and what is that in the egg sack ?.

Finding Graptolites, Arthropod's and Stromatolite in the same areas.

20200707_181335.jpg

20200707_181401.jpg

xena1.jpg

32 minutes ago, Kamoa said:

Complete newbie here asking is this Stromatolite ? and what is that in the egg sack ?.

Sorry. I'm not sure what it is, but I think no on these two.

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Sorry. I'm not sure what it is, but I think no on these two.

I agree,

Maybe it's weathered beekite?

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Misha said:

Maybe it's weathered beekite?

Or chert of some sort. Does look like a silicate.

Beekite is a reasonable suggestion as the specimen is definitely highly silicified and has rounded patterns. Do an internet image search for the term "beekite" and I think you will see many similar shapes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beekite

Any resemblance to a shark/ray egg case is only coincidence (and a well functioning imagination). ;) Soft items like shark egg cases rarely are preserved in the fossil record. The only example I can think of offhand are mere ghostly shapes recorded in Mazon Creek siderite concretions.

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing what else you are finding.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you Everybody,

Beekite is new to me and will be a big help in future ID and yes I will admit that sometimes (more often than not) my imagination can get the best of me. I will post some more finds and questions starting with Graptolites.

Thanks again

Tom

Imagination is a wonderful thing--it is especially useful when tempered with a bit of knowledge. ;)

I had not heard of Beekite till I joined this forum and saw many examples of it displayed here. Any day when you learn something new (and useful) is a good day--chalk today up in the "WIN" column. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Hello Kamoa and welcome to TFF.  I think your specimen above might just be an agate.

Thanks for the welcome grandpa, don't say the agate word too loud my wife will make some jewelry out of it..

I found this landscaping in my yard a few months ago and now I know what it is... haha beekite 

It was sitting on the floor next to me when I was checking out the link you suggested and I looked down and there it was. Having a lot of fun learning while the weather is to hot to hunt.

I took a pic of them together and I'm not so sure they have a resemblance and for now I put it back in the more research pile.

20200708_124650.jpg