Here's a comprehensive list of T. rex teeth with specific measurements, serration count, width etc

-Andy-

Hello, I was doing a study on the T. rex and Nanotyrannus teeth specimens I had, and I wanted to compare them against a list of known T. rex teeth with measurement. The paper: Dental Morphology and Variation in Theropod Dinosaurs: Implications for the Taxonomic Identification of Isolated Teeth (JOSHUA B. SMITH, DAVID R. VANN, AND PETER DODSON) contains a list of 115 T. rex teeth. To make it easier to compare and read the data, I combined the measurements into a single chart, added colors and lines for ease of reading, and added the size and names of the T. rex used in the study

Feel free to refer to the below chart for T. rex teeth measurements. I had to split the chart into 2 due to size limitations, but if you want the full-sized PDF version (25 MB), please message me so I can send it to you by email.

If you have any suggestions to improve readability, or have your own data to add, go ahead and post it here! I will be posting pics and measurements of my various T. rex and Nanotyrannus teeth here

@Troodon

Tyrannosaurus-tooth-count-1.jpg

Tyrannosaurus-tooth-count-2.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Good Stuff Andy

Recently I did a study of some shed teeth in my collection plus one from Andy's collection to see first what the serration density would be of two different Tyrannosaurid morphologies from the Hell Creek and Lance Formations.  Then I wanted to compare CBR and CHR differences.   I used 31 juvie to adult Nanotyrannus teeth and 15 juvie Trex teeth.  This range would be more typical of what collectors have in their collections.  It was interesting to see how many Nano morphology teeth had DSDI of greater than 1 (came in at around 60%) which means the mesial serration density was greater than distal.   This is noteworthy because this characteristic is typically used to determine if teeth are Dromaeosaurid.   In the Hell Creek and Lance Fm's the dromaeosaurid Dakotaraptor would be the one most likely to be misidentified if one just used this characteristic.  CHR crown height ratios were typically over 2 for Nannoyrannus and under <2 for the Trex morphology.  CBR crown base ratios were avg of .52 for Nanotyrannus and .76 for Trex.  So differences were definitely noted for the sample I used which were mostly under 2 inches. 

Nanotyrannus.thumb.JPG.5198850527f3b2b4e3700029a2a48b41.JPG

Trex2.thumb.JPG.f460d0cd626a4963ad4449af80245496.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

7 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Hello, I was doing a study on the T. rex and Nanotyrannus teeth specimens I had, and I wanted to compare them against a list of known T. rex teeth with measurement. The paper: Dental Morphology and Variation in Theropod Dinosaurs: Implications for the Taxonomic Identification of Isolated Teeth (JOSHUA B. SMITH, DAVID R. VANN, AND PETER DODSON) contains a list of 115 T. rex teeth. To make it easier to compare and read the data, I combined the measurements into a single chart, added colors and lines for ease of reading, and added the size and names of the T. rex used in the study

Feel free to refer to the below chart for T. rex teeth measurements. I had to split the chart into 2 due to size limitations, but if you want the full-sized PDF version (25 MB), please message me so I can send it to you by email.

If you have any suggestions to improve readability, or have your own data to add, go ahead and post it here! I will be posting pics and measurements of my various T. rex and Nanotyrannus teeth here

@Troodon

Tyrannosaurus-tooth-count-1.jpg

Tyrannosaurus-tooth-count-2.jpg

Interesting!  Cool study!  Nice work!

• 2 years later...