Charleston, SC Shark tooth ID request

Bails

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum, but have been searching for and collecting shark teeth for years. 

I found this tooth earlier today, but didn’t know for sure what kind of shark it was. My first thought was a Great White but it is smaller than some of my other great white teeth I have found or seen. It does have serrated edges. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance! 

4E2B0BF7-9F0E-4860-80AE-306D9FC61E58.jpeg

Edited by Bails

I also found this tooth today if anyone knows what kind of shark it came from as well. Thanks! 

8C727CE1-96E7-48D9-8922-76BBB39D7FAA.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

First one is probably Carcharocles angustidens, appears to be pathological which is awesome! Even more awesome, the second tooth appears to be Alopias grandis, the giant thresher! 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, Bails said:

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum, but have been searching for and collecting shark teeth for years. 

I found this tooth earlier today, but didn’t know for sure what kind of shark it was. My first thought was a Great White but it is smaller than some of my other great white teeth I have found or seen. It does have serrated edges. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance! 

It has burlett and leads me to thinking a meg family. Great whites do not have burlett(the black part between the root and blade)

If the first one is Carcharocles angustidens or of the Meg family how is it so small? A younger, juvenile shark? I guess I just always assumed all megatoothed sharks’ teeth had significant size. 

Hi,

When we observe a current shark jaw, we can see that often the more lateral the teeth are the smaller they are. It depends on the species.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

8 hours ago, Bails said:

If the first one is Carcharocles angustidens or of the Meg family how is it so small? A younger, juvenile shark? I guess I just always assumed all megatoothed sharks’ teeth had significant size. 

Carcharocles goes from a few millimeters for juvenile symphyseal teeth all the way up to more than 7 inches for pliocene anteriors. Most meg teeth are 2 to 3 inches where I fossil hunt, it is rare to find large ones

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Last one I promise. I also found this tooth right before I found the Giant Thresher. It looks similar but it has serrated edges. Thanks again everyone! 

06B5B137-EC1E-4B2A-9E18-1CA764722447.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Bails said:

Last one I promise. I also found this tooth right before I found the Giant Thresher. It looks similar but it has serrated edges. Thanks again everyone! 

I think that this may be a Megalodon, Lets see what others think

A small Meg below,

smallMeg.jpg.1c5fa7422b83619abf0aefb6de5b8773.jpg

Some Threshers have serrations, they are VERY rare.

Giant_thresher1.thumb.JPG.d65fd2992d36c4042878fe2456f2da9c.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

13 hours ago, Bails said:

Hey everyone,

I agree meg or angie on this one, nice!

13 hours ago, Bails said:

I also found this tooth today if anyone knows what kind of shark it came from as well. Thanks! 

8C727CE1-96E7-48D9-8922-76BBB39D7FAA.jpeg

this one is really cool, giant thresher shark tooth! Great find!!!

16 minutes ago, Bails said:

06B5B137-EC1E-4B2A-9E18-1CA764722447.jpeg

i can’t tell if this one is a meg or thresher, either way great find!!

29 minutes ago, Bails said:

Post as many as you want! Another Carcharocles. Really it’s hard to tell between them if you don’t have the sides, but Charleston is better known for C. angustidens.

Happy hunting,

Mason

21 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Some Threshers have serrations, they are VERY rare.

They recently got named, Alopias palatasi. Though partially serrate transitionals appear towards the beginning of the Miocene, completely serrated ones existed for an extremely short period of time (the Langhian). 

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 minute ago, Bails said:

If nobody minds me posting another, is this an extinct mako? 

Carcharodon hastalis, though sometimes called a Mako, it is really the unserrated precursor to Carcharodon carcharias, the great white shark.

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 minutes ago, Bails said:

And is the big one in this pic a Meg? All found in Charleston, SC. 

DD306A47-C12D-40C0-8209-E980DB9761E3.jpeg

Yeah, same with the lighter one below it.

Happy hunting,

Mason

49 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

They recently got named, Alopias palatasi. Though partially serrate transitionals appear towards the beginning of the Miocene, completely serrated ones existed for an extremely short period of time (the Langhian). 

That must be some of the reason that I am not finding very many in my middle to late Miocene locations. I have a very few without serrations, and the one example of a partially serrated Thresher that I saw was found by my friend.

Are both the transitionals and the completely serrateds, renamed?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Are both the transitionals and the completely serrateds, renamed?

The description of Alopias palatasi calls them early Alopias palatasi rather than naming them a separate species. The regular Alopias grandis seem to range from the late oligocene at least to the beginning of the late Miocene, though there are some possible (Anecdotal) examples persisting into the Pliocene.

Happy hunting,

Mason

17 hours ago, grahamguti said:

Where in Charleston exactly?

Go to the main page of this forum. Scroll down and near the bottom of the page you'll see the heading "Fossil Sites". Scroll down to USA. Select the state(s). Read. No one is going to give you exact locations until you have gained their trust. They will not tell you any location if they think you may go in and clean out the site completely and only for the sake of selling them for profit.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

19 hours ago, grahamguti said:

Where in Charleston exactly?

Graham, sir, I'm afraid you are not making a good initial impression on this forum.  You are coming across on various threads as someone who wants something just given to them without having to do the work that others have done to find their sites.  You are leaving others suspect of your motives/intentions.  Perhaps you should withdraw, recoup and come back later, if at all, and try again once you've put some work into the hobby yourself.  Your approach is wearing mighty thin.:shakehead: