In situ Zoophycos and a random bone.

Bradley Flynn

Thaught I would share the location where I have found large sections of well preserved Zoophycos and burrows. Interestingly the Zoophycos is in its own layer while the layer just beneath that has worm burrows. Also fond a random bone peaking out from the wall. Any ideas what the bone might be from. Left the bone there, it's very brittle. 

IMG_20200709_121712.jpg

IMG_20200709_120652.jpg

Interesting rocks, however some context would be nice, what age are these? And have fossils been described from the area before? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

The Zoophycus are really nice. I especially like that some show the perpendicular structure as well as the probing traces. I have one like that from the Lower Devonian Of New York. What layer was the bone in? If it wasn't associated with a particular layer and was just lying  there it was probably an extant animal that fell from the cliff. It looks like a very interesting outcrop.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

51 minutes ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Interesting rocks, however some context would be nice, what age are these? And have fossils been described from the area before? 

I'm still learning! In this specific area I have only found Zoophycos, burrows and another that I don't have identification for yet. Will add a picture here. I have found some devonian species in other areas that fall under the bokkeveld group It overlies the Table mountain group and underlies the Witteberg Group . I think the area in question is the Table mountain group which is ordovician and silurian. Hope this makes sense? Here is a pic of another specimen from the area. 

IMG_20200628_163951.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bradley Flynn said:

I'm still learning! In this specific area I have only found Zoophycos, burrows and another that I don't have identification for yet. Will add a picture here. I have found some devonian species in other areas that fall under the bokkeveld group It overlies the Table mountain group and underlies the Witteberg Group . I think the area in question is the Table mountain group which is ordovician and silurian. Hope this makes sense? Here is a pic of another specimen from the area. 

In which case the bone is almost certainly modern. The plant in your latest picture is a lycopod. Based on that i would think a Devonian to Carboniferous age is likely. 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

37 minutes ago, TOM BUCKLEY said:

The Zoophycus are really nice. I especially like that some show the perpendicular structure as well as the probing traces. I have one like that from the Lower Devonian Of New York. What layer was the bone in? If it wasn't associated with a particular layer and was just lying  there it was probably an extant animal that fell from the cliff. It looks like a very interesting outcrop.

Tom

Hi Tom! Yes I haven't seen Zoophycos like this anywhere else. As for the bone it was not in any particular layer and about 2m from the top of the cliff face that consists of loose rock and soil. The bone inbedded into the cliff, that is what's baffling me. Im going to go dig it out when the weather is better, my curiosity is getting the better of me:zzzzscratchchin:

@Paleoworld-101 thanks for your input and ID help. I am sure the bones are modern, they are just buried into the cliff and that has got me wondering what's going on. 

35 minutes ago, Bradley Flynn said:

Hi Tom! Yes I haven't seen Zoophycos like this anywhere else. As for the bone it was not in any particular layer and about 2m from the top of the cliff face that consists of loose rock and soil. The bone inbedded into the cliff, that is what's baffling me. Im going to go dig it out when the weather is better, my curiosity is getting the better of me:zzzzscratchchin:

Be sure to soak the bone well with a consolidant such as those from Paleobond.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

1 minute ago, jpc said:

The bone looks very modern.  

Yip! That's why I'm so intrigued. What is it doing buried in the cliff!! Does anybody have an idea what skeletol part it could be? My first thought was a sacrum, but I cannot find any local animal that matches.

I think it might actually be on ostrich pelvis bone, but it's very worn. 

• I found this Informative 1

That thinner bone sticking out on the left definitely makes it look similar to an ostrich. It’s definitely a pelvic bone of some larger animal.

Just an update on the bone. My curiosity got the better of me and I went and dug out the bone protruding from the face of the cliff. Turns out it's a very worn bovid skull, probably cow. As I was digging out the skull bones from other mammals of all sizes and even bird bones came out of only that small area. My thinking is that it must have been a burrow used by a predator or a scavenger in the side of the cliff face, over time it has collapsed and eroded away. I have attached pictures with orange markers for reference. Also some not all of the bones found. 

IMG_20200715_162043.jpg

IMG_20200715_161914.jpg